Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
When I was 6, I was taking showers and I had butt-length hair.

But I had older sisters taking showers, so maybe that's why. Baths at 6 seem odd to me.

These are good suggestions - I'm keeping the hose in mind in case my DD doesn't want to go to showers that young.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
ZooMamaTo3
Registered Users
Formerly: ZooMamaTo2
seller

Re: how to wash a 6 year old's hair

My 6 year old also has extremely thick hair (like, ponytail holder around twice is a stretch). She is getting better at the shower, but typically likes to still take a bath to play with her little sisters. We use this in the bath. Even my 20 month old uses it well.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
My daughter has THICK hair and I have to use conditioner every time or it gets really tangled. I give her baths most of the time (she's still just 3) but then run the tap and rinse her hair with that water, instead of the nastified soapy bath water.
idk about showering with a 6.5 yo, whether that's getting too old or not.
Thats what I do with my 7 yo too.
I stand her in the shower when I'm in a hurry and do her hair, I just make sure the bath mat is down and it's not too bad. I have to condition and rinse Dd or it'll be all locs in no time. Hers is spiral curls underneath and straight on top I just cut 4 inches off the bottom and it's still down to her waist.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

My diaper sprayer hooks up to my shower head. We use that to spray the kids off after bath time and to make sure they don't have soap and gunk left on them.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is almost 5.5 and i don't don't think she is anywhere near ready for the responsibility of washing her own hair. we wash her hair every week or two. She doesn't need to wash more than that because her hair doesn't get oily. I heavily condition her hair every time I wash it. she showers with me or daddy.
we wash the kids about once a week it's not great for their skin to wash every day.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We put one of those shower heads on a hose in the kids bathroom - best decision ever! We got one that has a button on the side to turn the water off. So we wet the hair, turn off the water on the shower head, use a 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. Then rinse and use a conditioner and rinse again. The shower head allows them to sit in the tub and play while I wash their hair. In the summer months when we're outside a ton and at the pool a lot I use a leave in conditioner as well after bathes.

Dd1 was 6 when we started teaching her how to wash her own hair. We started in the tub and had her put the shampoo/conditioner in her hair. I'd rinse it and have her helpmuse her hands to feel when the soap was all gone. After she got pretty good at that we had her start using our shower and I'd stand amd peek in the curtain and watch her and help her know when she was done rinsing enough. At 7 she now showers independently.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote