Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #31
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: flying with a 3mo old?

I would suggest gate checking it! We did that when we went to Disney! Also you could check around fora clearance carrier. I got mine for $25 to use for our trip.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Regarding the car seat: we would almost certainly have to buy a new one, since our current car seat is a huge convertible that I can't really carry. We have AAA and supposedly we get an infant seat for free when we rent from Hertz, so I can call ahead and ask for the model number.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I've traveled alone with my son a lot, from infancy to toddlerhood. What I learned:

You probably have one of those bucket type carseats? Where the seat fastens into a base? Is it one that can strap into a car on its own without the base? (ours was a Chicco).

You will buy your tickets as an adult with a lap infant. Baby is free, up to age 2, if she is a lap child.

Different airlines cater to lap infants differently. Frontier automatically assigns the mom plus lap child to a seat where the seat beside you is vacant, if the flight is not full. Others will let you request a seat change at the gate, to a spot where the seat beside you is open.

Sometimes, then, they will let you put your carseat in that slot. Ask ahead and at every check, because sometimes it depends on the flight crew not the airline.

Because of the above, up until he outgrew his infant seat, I always brought him in it, to the gate. Then I'd bring it on the plane if they had a spot, or gate check it if they didn't.

Rental car seats SUCK. Expired, missing directions, mildewed and dirty... I'm appalled at what I've found. They also make you install it, and don't always have the instructions or specs on which is safe for your child.

Other stuff:

A stroller is invaluable, in large part because there aren't luggage carts beyond security in most airports. I've tried to make it without a stroller and it's just an unnecessary nightmare.

Checking the stroller at the gate is free, too. As is checking the car seat at the gate or ticket counter.

Some airlines require ID for the baby, some don't. A vaccine record or birth certificate works.

And some make you go to the ticket counter even if you have no checked bags.

What else... Baby medicines don't have to be in your single 1 quart ziploc with fluids. You can have a second ziploc. If you bring milk for LO (I always bring a quart of soymilk for myself, lol, and say its for the baby), just allow a few extra minutes at security for them to check it (they just wave a thingie over it, they don't touch it).

It's good to say ahead of time that you may need assistance, if you have a connection with a layover under 2 hours.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #34
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Honestly, no matter what a car rental agency tells you over the phone, I absolutely would not trust those car seats. I have heard stories from my husband who was in the business for almost 10 years. The carseats are constantly mistreated, very dirty, and not trust worthy at all. When we planned our recent trip, he refused to even consider using a rental agency's carseat, an he is super laid pack and let's me make most the decisions!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Argh. Alright, you've convinced me. No rented car seat. It also helps that my friend just transferred her baby from his bucket to a full-sized so she has a seat to lend me.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote