Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So I started Seeds indoors

I knew you could test germination that way, but had no clue you could start seeds like that? Is this a popular way to start them? 99% of my seeds I start in trays outside under cover. My trouble makers I have inside. This is the first time I have had to start anything indoors though. they are easier to harden off when started outdoors, that's for sure.

So what did you decide to do and how is it going? Looks like an interesting way to start them? I read on some seeds to soak for a while, is this what you did?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've only heard of doing sunflower seeds like that, but with sunflower seeds I know you can put them right in the ground. Sunflowers I think are pretty sturdy plants though, doesn't take much to make them grow. I don't know about your seeds though?

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I knew you could test germination that way, but had no clue you could start seeds like that? Is this a popular way to start them? 99% of my seeds I start in trays outside under cover. My trouble makers I have inside. This is the first time I have had to start anything indoors though. they are easier to harden off when started outdoors, that's for sure.

So what did you decide to do and how is it going? Looks like an interesting way to start them? I read on some seeds to soak for a while, is this what you did?

I Started them by wetting a paper towel and spreading the seeds out and then putting them in a zip loc bag. Thats it. lol. My dad has always done it that way and my SMIL does it as well (shes the one who told me to do that)

Then to plant them I just tore off the piece of paper towel the seed had attached itself to, threw it in the soil. Today I went and checked them and they all came through the soil just fine! YAY!

I start my seeds indoors here in AZ for some reason If I do it outside they NEVER work out. Like...ever. I have had success with these peppers, Basil, and Summer Squash this way. Hopefully I will be able to try out more through out the year! My MIL has a HUGE garden (liike 2 acres) and she starts all her seeds this way and wont do it any other way.

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's awsome! I just got my heirloom seed order last week and now wishing I had tried this with some of those hard to grow ones. I'm deff gonna give it a shot if they don't grow well for me. So cool! Where have I been, in a hole, haha!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

haha! Yeah it works really well. The ziploc bag contains the moisture for the seeds and everything. I actually noticed all of my seeds germinate a few dayss sooner then the earliest quoted time. For example my summer squash package said it would sprout in 8-14 days and they sprouted in 4-5!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! That's great
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Okay, so I'm trying your method with some cantaloupe seeds. Where did you leave them to germinate - in the sun, shade, window, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

on the kitchen table =) Theres no window around there or anything.The closest window is about 12-15 feet away so no direct sunlight.

I will tell you when you wet the paper towel ring it out! If you don't it's too wet for them to germinate.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
leila03ash
Registered Users

This is a very cool idea. Mh seeds never make it. I can get them to germinate (sometimes) but hardening them off is nearly impossible. I'm going to try this next season though. Thanks!
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #20
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Previous poster said harden them off by taking them outside during the day that way they get used to outside temps and the wind. I'm keeping all mine in containers, just thinning some as needed. I was just at Hewitts yesterday and was asking just when can i bring my babies out and they said if transferring to the ground soil temp should be 68 to 72? And we have been getting frost and freeze advisories. I just can't wait to get these guys outside. I only started morning glories, moonflowers, black eyed susan vines, and chamomile inside. They are huge and leggy I need them outside for good but I have been having to cover all my plants at night.

And we always germinate hard seeds between two pieces of wet paper towel then transfer to dirt when they pop through.