Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
We moved last month and our new place has a nice big garden. The previous owners had garlic and asparagus so that was already here for us We added 5 different peppers, 4 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, summer and butternut squash, zuchinni, 1 loney strawberry plant, blackberry bush, red onions, corn, and watermelon. I need to plant my carrots and okra still.

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
GardenMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tips for growing longer carrots:
As soon as they start to sprout, put a 2x4 on top of them! Keep the ground moist, but not saturated, and the plant uses no energy putting on leaves, so it uses all it's energy growing a longer root!!! Wait two weeks then pull the 2x4 up! Our carrots used to average 4-6", but now most are over a foot long!
Ashley Wife to a US Marine& Mamma to Braelynn (5), Brody (2), Adalynn (1) , and expecting #4 November 1st!!
GardenMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
MomAshcraft
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have a garden??

grew a garden for the first time this year. So excited that everything is starting to grow, and some of the veggies are huge!! Can't wait to eat my own organic foods!!
MomAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Zanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, and we just started some indoor seeds too - for sunflowers, nasturtium, bell peppers, hot peppers, and cilantro. I'm planning on doing a lot of direct seeding to once it warms up, but it's fun to start some early just to watch the sprouts go. Thanks for our mild winter, our herb garden is already rocking, and I love going outside to snip fresh herbs when I want to.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
karw29
Registered Users
seller

I Love spring gardening! Picked my first cucumber and 3 cherry tomatoes today! Yay!
karw29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
emmasmommy37
Registered Users
seller

We are trying our hand at gardening for the first time this year! So far, so good! Our plants are doing really well, especially the peppers, tomatoes, and arugula!
emmasmommy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

I am hoping to start my little seedlings here within the next week or two. I can't wait to have yummy fresh veggies for my smoothies! <3
MommyCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We still have a couple more weeks before putting anything outside, but my dining room table looks great. Lol Tomatoes, green onions, pumpkins (seed starter kits from birthday party) pole beans, peas, cucumbers and watermelon (which will totally die in our 2b zone but yds chose them). Also have carrots, beets and herbs to sow outside.

I checked yesterday and I can see some of the strawberries we planted last summer peeking out. I have lots of blueberry, rhubarb and raspberries sitting in pots by the back door to go out.

Plus, this year I am finally doing something abour our front and side yards (house is 2yo), so I ordered 2 lilacs and a silvery "fringe" tree for the front, and I picked up some bulbs to throw in the yet-to-be-built raised bed at the top of the yet-to-be-paved driveway. :-) Will probably just put some low maintenance ground cover in there with the lilys, hostas and irises.

I love my house but hate living in such a craptastic zone. I miss living in zones 4-5.