Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #101
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicah
I have been on diaperswappers for years (05?) and am a mom of 8 and yes, Catholic. It brings a smile to my face to know there are so many Catholic mamas on here.

And so glad to here of converts, because here in S Louisiana most of the Catholics I know are cradle Catholics.

We homeschooled and have always homeschooled all 8. For those of you interested here is the online academy we are enrolled in www.classicalliberalarts.com

We switched to this academy when it first opened and was in development mode. Three years later we are still loving it. It is not only Catholic but classical and the men writings these courses are college professors. Awesome courses. Before the academey we had tried many of the traditional Catholic homeschooing resources and none of them can compare with these courses.
Where in S Louisiana? Opelousas here

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #102
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any Catholic mamas of many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
Where in S Louisiana? Opelousas here
We are in the country...between Jennings and Crowley.

I mentioned the online academy we are enrolled in and did say the courses are being written by college professors.

But what I forgot to say is that there is also a petty school for prek/k/1st grade and then the students move into the academy as they are individually ready for it. There is nothing out there for homeschoolers that compares. No grade levels, everyone works at there own pace, yet 100 percent mastery required. And the content of every single lesson is very rich but not overwhelming because of the self pacing. Dilligence, perserverance and motivation are a must to these courses.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #103
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

We are in the country...between Jennings and Crowley.

I mentioned the online academy we are enrolled in and did say the courses are being written by college professors.

But what I forgot to say is that there is also a petty school for prek/k/1st grade and then the students move into the academy as they are individually ready for it. There is nothing out there for homeschoolers that compares. No grade levels, everyone works at there own pace, yet 100 percent mastery required. And the content of every single lesson is very rich but not overwhelming because of the self pacing. Dilligence, perserverance and motivation are a must to these courses.
This would not work for my 12.5y old son. He LOATHES school work. I have to push every step of the way. My daughters......just might work. We go the Eunice once a week....wow thats close.....small world
You mentioned lots of cradle catholics. You should come to my parish...Fr. Ted Broussard is on FIRE!!!! He runs the Cursillo Center. Ever heard of it?

Last edited by lisathib123; 05-03-2012 at 05:44 AM.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #104
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

Haha, yeah small world. Father Ted used to be at our church until two years ago. Next time you see him ask him about his time at the Tee Mamou ("petite mamou") ST. Jules mission chapel.

Havent been over there in years, though, when my husband made cursillo.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #105
faithfulmama77
Registered Users

Hi! I'm brand new here, but a Catholic mom of many and multiples. My oldest is a freshmen at public high school, my other three boys are in our local Catholic grade school. My 12 yo daughter was having social issues at our very small school, so she is home doing virtual charter, and my 3yo dd and twin 1 yo dds are home. We used to home school a long time ago, but I'm discerning whether to try again. This next year the young ones will be at the Catholic school, but perhaps the year after that, when 3yo dd will be Kindy age, and the twins will be almost preschool. We've used CHC for a year when they were first getting started for a year, but really struggled with the cost of homeschooling. I mostly just threw together my own curric based on online resources/WTM. I think I would have been more successful if I could have afforded to buy curric and stick to it. I'm just starting to pray about all this, so who knows where it'll lead?

Glad to find all you Catholic moms! I don't do facebook, but I'd love to chat on this thread about challenges of mothering many.
faithfulmama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #106
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulmama77 View Post
Hi! I'm brand new here, but a Catholic mom of many and multiples. My oldest is a freshmen at public high school, my other three boys are in our local Catholic grade school. My 12 yo daughter was having social issues at our very small school, so she is home doing virtual charter, and my 3yo dd and twin 1 yo dds are home. We used to home school a long time ago, but I'm discerning whether to try again. This next year the young ones will be at the Catholic school, but perhaps the year after that, when 3yo dd will be Kindy age, and the twins will be almost preschool. We've used CHC for a year when they were first getting started for a year, but really struggled with the cost of homeschooling. I mostly just threw together my own curric based on online resources/WTM. I think I would have been more successful if I could have afforded to buy curric and stick to it. I'm just starting to pray about all this, so who knows where it'll lead?

Glad to find all you Catholic moms! I don't do facebook, but I'd love to chat on this thread about challenges of mothering many.
welcome!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #107
faithfulmama77
Registered Users

Thank you!
faithfulmama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #108
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Haha, yeah small world. Father Ted used to be at our church until two years ago. Next time you see him ask him about his time at the Tee Mamou ("petite mamou") ST. Jules mission chapel.

Havent been over there in years, though, when my husband made cursillo.
Lol, I'll try to remember.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #109
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama. I only have 2 children though we lost 3 and we are still trying for more.
Right now I use a blend of mostly CHC and MODG for my 9 year old.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #110
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
I'm a Catholic homeschooling mama. I only have 2 children though we lost 3 and we are still trying for more.
Right now I use a blend of mostly CHC and MODG for my 9 year old.

Deanna
Love your daughter's names

We use Seton but considered MODG. What do you think of it?

Nice to "meet" you