View Poll Results: When did you first take your newborn out in public?
within the first week 184 69.70%
between weeks 1 and 2 43 16.29%
between weeks 2 and 3 16 6.06%
around 1 month 14 5.30%
later than 1 month 16 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #131
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: When would you take a newborn out in public?

i took my ten day old to the beach. i took him around 4 pm and had an umbrella of course. he loved it. slept most of the time.

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #132
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I honestly can't remember when DD1 went out for the first time (might have been Walmart on the way home from the hospital at 5 days old), but DD2 went out for lunch with DH, big sis and my parents on the way home from the hospital at about 36 hours old. Seeing as how they were both summer babies, we went out walking to the store alot in the early days, but mostly they were in a sling or in a stroller and no one was touching them!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #133
Aingeru
Registered Users

Depends on where. If it's a very crowded place, i.e. airport, we wait until the first round of immunizations. At least we did with DS, we were traveling to see my family and the Ped said it was advisable to wait until after his 2 month shots because of the yucky, germy airport and airplane environment.

But I did take him to other places much sooner. The first month only Ped appointments, but it was January in Chicago. The day after he turned 1 month I took him out for his first walk, all bundled up in the stroller, with the rain cover on. We went into CVS, IIRC, where I checked to see he was warm, got a few essentials and continued with our much needed walk. I was loosing my mind locked up in our apartment!

I took him to a mall (on a slow weekday, very few people there) ay 6 weeks. We also went to get his passport at the post office around that age.

DD will be a summer baby (plus I have DS), so anticipate we'll be going out for walks and errands sooner.

So in short, I think it depends where you take them. I don't think you need to stay indoors for any amount of time.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #134
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did immediately. I can't stand being cooped up and I believe in exposure. They either stayed in the carseat with a canopy over it or in a carrier. My babies were spring/summer babies, though.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #135
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, we went to Five Guys for lunch on day 4. We had a homebirth and I was going stir crazy just staying in the house every day. I just put him in the wrap and that's where he stayed until he got put back in the car.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #136
an_aurora
Registered Users

With my oldest I took her to the grocery store at 2 weeks (and got yelled at by an old lady who insisted she was going to "catch her death of cold" because she wasn't wearing socks. We lived in Phoenix. It was July). DD2 went to a LLL meeting at 3 days old. She was born at home and that was her first trip out. With DS, I went and saw Harry Potter and went to Coldstone for icecream at 2 days of age.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #137
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

my ods was a couple days old (born in Aug) and my mom and I went shopping, out to eat, walking, etc. However, my yds (born mid Dec) I made sure was a couple WEEKS old. He was born right during cold/flu season so I didn't really want either of the kids out and about. But we did go do quick errands some days.