Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I know lunch meat has to be heated before preggos eat it but what about a slice of ham? Im making pasta salad for a picnic with a thick slice of fully cooked ham. I could heat it now but then its going in the fridge until tomorrow. Would I have to reheat it to make it safe? I wont be able to heat it so should I just keep it seperate?

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 05-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have always eaten lunch meat cold with no issues. I am assuming that this has to do with bacteria? The risks are very low, so I say go for it!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A ? about ham...

I was trying to figure this out during easter. I ate a bunch of cold leftover ham I think it's mainly deli meat than is the cause for listeria.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I heard it is mostly the deli meat they slice for you. The ones that are prepackaged are ok and so I would think the ham would be fine. I eat it from the deli, though, no problems.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so this is what I've learned about listeriosis through working with meats. I have been a delicatessen in the past and have gone through food safety courses.

The reason why lunch meats are such a risk is because even though these meats are cooked and packaged safely in plants (the bacteria is killed then) once they get to your deli and they are opened, sliced (on a poss. contaminated surface), put on any surface (with contamination) or even the air and then put in the big refrigeration case ONE single cell of listeriosis can continue to grow. It takes one cell. Listeriosis continues to flourish when cold. If you want to be super safe see if the package says it contains added sodium lactate. This helps the risk go down. Almost all packaged pre-cooked meats contain it now.

If you wanted to be extra safe with the ham (though I don't think you have to) I'd prepare the entire pasta salad without it. Store it over night covered in the fridge and then add it before you leave. I am sure your meat is perfectly fine since you are getting it packaged and already sanitized. The real risk for pregnant women is lunch meat because of how it is handled and not every handler of the meat is always informed. Sorry that was so long, I hope I cleared up some of the fear for anyone curious and pregnant.

Last edited by Mommyto2B2G; 05-03-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh ok! Thanks for explaining all that The package does say it contains soduim howeveryouspellit. I LOVE ham-especially in pasta salad.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

So the prepackaged lunchmeat is okay, but the nice stuff from the deli is where the risk is? I didn't know that...