Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
breannanoahmason
Registered Users

Thinking of making my own granola bars

I am thinking of making my own granola bars, but was i am wondering if it is going to save me any money in the end. Right now i buy a 60 ct box at costco that is i think 10.59. This month i have a 3.00 off coupon so they will only be 7.59. The only thing is out of the 60, 20 of them are peanut butter and my 3 yr old and boy i babysit can not eat them. Help experienced moms, i would really like to do this not only to save money but to also be able to customize them for my son.

Jennifer mom of 3

Advertisement

breannanoahmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thinking of making my own granola bars

I use (and love) Tammy's Recipe for Chewy Granola Bars... Instead of just 1 cup of chocolate chips though, I use 1 cup of whatever I want to throw in them (coconut, craisins, choc. chips, sunflower seeds, etc.) and then I throw wheat germ in there as well. I've had 4 friends ask for the recipe... they are really good!

I'm not sure about the cost-savings, but I like to know exactly what is in them (i buy in bulk from Sam's Club... things like the honey, oats, craisins). They don't have any preservatives so they keep in the cupboard for 1 week, but they freeze well for upto 2 months (just take out as needed).

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/chewy_o...p_granola_bars
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
cbusbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i always use this granola bar recipe - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bird-se...rs/detail.aspx - but i only use 1/2 cup each of honey and brown sugar, and 3 eggs. they are still plenty sweet and they stick together this way. also you can add/subtract whatever you like! i add: craisins, walnuts, almonds, 2 T ground flax, 1/2 c wheat germ, and chocolate chips.

these may not be cheaper... but they are much healthier and more filling than most granola bars (way less sugar, more protein). if i figure out the cost per batch i will let you know.
cbusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It probably would save money. We rarely buy store bought granola bars - or granola... Some store brands are definitely yummy, but homemade can be super yummy!!! They can also be a lot healthier and even truly healthy! If I remember I'll see if I can dig up the links for the recipes I've used in the morning...
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is the recipe I usually use: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/0...-granola-bars/

I use this one for granola - http://glutenfreemommy.com/homemade-granola-cereal/

Last edited by mel j; 05-08-2012 at 10:18 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend making your own. They are easy, inexpensive (although you may not save more than the Costco ones with a coupon) and You know what went into them. That is most important to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well worth it if you want to control preservatives and things like that. I use a recipe similar to the first one posted except I omit the flour and baking soda. I use 2c quick oats, and 1c rice krispies. I also add flax seed and wheat germ. Cut the chocolate to 1/2 c and add 1/4c each of sunflowers seeds and almond slivers. You can also replace dairy butter with peanut butter. I make a pan once per week, 16 bars, and they always get eaten.

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's another bar recipe, with her granola recipe too. She has some nice ideas.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...-granola-bars/

I always add flax seed and I use coconut oil in place of some butter. My daughter gobbles these up.