Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: something got our chickens last night

This happened to me a few months ago. The dog drug 2 away....and BOTH were still alive. One was badly hurt and needed to be put down. They were so frightened they were laying very still. Chickens loose feathers like crazy when scared, so I followed the trail of feathers to find the missing hens. Good luck!

Advertisement

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

MIL showed up, we went and looked all over, nothing, not a single feather! No sign of the missing girls! We have a chicken tractor, just a temp thing until the coop is done. I thought it was secure enough. A dog or whatever got in the end of it and pulled their house out. somehow 2 got lucky and ended up behind the house inside the run.

So which would you get....rhode island reds or buff orpingtons?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

How scary. If you see the dog again I'd follow it and confront the owners! I would get some of each, they both have their merits. RIR's are dependable layers but not super friendly. BO's are friendly but tend to go broody more often.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have RI reds as they are a good duel purpose bird and good brooders. Mine found a hole in their run a couple days ago and my dog attacked them. my oldest daughter came running in in tears that Molly had killed a baby chick (they are fully feathered and about 5 weeks old now) My husband had to pull her off the chick and put her on the run. Once we got her on there we picked up the chick who was peeping but not moving. I didn't want to kill her needlessly so we put her in a box in the coop for the night to see how it'd go. The next morning she was jumping around looking for food like nothing happened.

I let my roosters out (we have 3 1.5YO roosters we were given) the past few afternoons, the first day the dog didn't bother them but the seond day she chased after them. DH's booming voice finally put a stop to her and we put her on the run. the rossters were alright. And then when I was taking the bunny from her ron to her hutch the damn dog tried to snach it out of my hands.

In all other aspects she's a great dog (super with the kids beyond belief, has never chewed anything and is usually obedient). Now I on'y let the roosters out in the late afternoon and keep the dog on the run. They know enough to stay away form her.

But to OP. I'm sorry mama. A fox keeps getting my mother's. She's lost over 30 hens and 10 ducks the past 2 years to a fox. (another reason I'll only let mine out in the afternoons while we're all home. The kids are always outside and I usually am too with the BB gun within reach).
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: something got our chickens last night UPDATE in op

Aww, the new babies are cute! You guys are making me want chickens, and I don't even know if we're allowed!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The newbies are so sweet. I hope having them helps you and dd to heal from the loss of your older babies.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry sweetie! I just saw this.
You have lovely new lo's!
We too just got some red's and they are just so sweet.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats on your new babies! They are so cute! My favorite chicken was a buff, and she was one that I lost. I was going to get more buffs, but the ones they had at the feed store were all too big to put under our broody hen. We needed ones that were around the same size as the ones she hatched. Maybe eventually we'll get some more buffs, sometime down the line.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is awful. One of my biggest fears with fowl. So sorry mama!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote