Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

Link to article: "Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist"

This article is a bit long and may seem a bit out there, but I found it a rare source of reflection... fodder for my deep ecology leanings I have long neglected.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.p.../article/6599/

Advertisement

ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Link to article: "Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist"

I loved it... he explains my dislike for "going green" well. I understand it as a necessary evil, but it's still human-centric than I feel comfortable with....and I am one of those people that doesn't get to see much of earth in it's natural state, but I can still respect thatit's not all about us and what we can exploit it for...
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Very profound indeed. I've considered myself a Pantheist for a couple years now and I can absolutly relate to everything in the article... I've often found myself saying/thinking the same things. Always nice to know I'm not the only one! ;-)

Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am left feeling really discouraged by that article. If such an Earth lover is giving up, then why do I bother either? I think i am missing the point. Can someone help me out?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Hmmm, well I interpreted it as he was giving up on the 'movement' not necessarily his beliefs, philosophy or lifestyle kwim? I got the impression he was very much an activist and he now feels that he has no place in what the environmental movement has become. He describes himself as a Pantheist and reaffirms those philosophies repeatedly in the article so I don't think he's giving up on his beliefs, more just discouraged with the more official 'movement' than anything.

Karen.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
diana_of_the_dunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been feeling that way a lot. I'm so tired of the "greenwashing". Even as little as 75 years ago, people were asked to sacrifice for a cause, like rationing during WWII so that the goods and materials could be used elsewhere. Now it seems like asking people to use or consume less is unheard of. Our earth simply cannot sustain everyone living like we do here in the US. It's a sad day for society when people are expected to consume their way out of a problem. The answer isn't *more* sustainable products, it's using less in order to conserve resources. But any politician suggesting that a contracting economy might not be a bad thing would commit political suicide...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
I've been feeling that way a lot. I'm so tired of the "greenwashing". Even as little as 75 years ago, people were asked to sacrifice for a cause, like rationing during WWII so that the goods and materials could be used elsewhere. Now it seems like asking people to use or consume less is unheard of. Our earth simply cannot sustain everyone living like we do here in the US. It's a sad day for society when people are expected to consume their way out of a problem. The answer isn't *more* sustainable products, it's using less in order to conserve resources. But any politician suggesting that a contracting economy might not be a bad thing would commit political suicide...

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Karen.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
It's a sad day for society when people are expected to consume their way out of a problem. The answer isn't *more* sustainable products, it's using less in order to conserve resources.
Yes, this 100% Somehow where I live, people just don't get it that *more* will NOT save the planet.