Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Users
lets talk closets!

I am lucky that we don't have a shortage of closets in our current apartment. We have a hall/coat closet, a pantry we use as a homeschooling closet, an accordian closet in each bedroom, and a linen closet. I organized them all tonight, wheeww! Really, they weren't in too bad a shape since I've been purging like crazy lately, but they've still felt cramped and blah to me. Basically I condensed a couple things into less boxes, moved a few boxes to the linen closet ("gift closet", important papers, and a small box of craft supplies), and put my shoes on a shelf above our hanging rack rather than on broken shoe racks on the floor. MUCH BETTER!

We're moving in a couple months, either to another apartment in the same commplex or to a different place all together. If we move to the different apartment here, it will actually have one more closet but they are all smaller (3 bedroom, different layout). If we move elsewhere, who knows what we will get, but I have a feeling the closets could end up smaller, or have less of them. This was kind of my motivation to kick myself in the bootie and clear them out some more.

I'd love to peek inside your closets if you are proud (or not and we can give advice, lol).

happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: lets talk closets!

I've never been one to like those fancy closet organizing things. Seriously, if you are just storing clothing items (as opposed to linens and other stuff), all you need is a double rod and a shelf or two above both rods. I've always just hung EVERYTHING, put shoes on the floor below, and other items in banker boxes or similar containers above (usually out of season stuff). In my kids' closets, I do the same but have their undies/socks/tights/non hangable stuff in bins on the floor instead of their shoes, because we store kid shoes elsewhere. They have never needed dressers as a result, and it has made sharing a room a breeze.

We are moving into new house with an excess of closets. What I'm looking most forward to is that one closet is going to be my and DH's launching/landing pad. I will slide a little desk in there, so there will be a tabletop to put mail and keys and pocket change. Drawers to hold other little stuff that is not used daily. There will still be room to hang in season jackets and my bags (I have a different tote for different days' activities) and room for a few pairs of in-season shoes (we are a no-shoes house). And the best part is we can close the bifold doors on it and not ever see it. For some reason any launch/landing spot we have ever had in every home we lived in becomes a major mess. I'll post a pic when we move in, but it will be 3-4 weeks.
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'll post pics when we move into our new digs in three weeks. I am super-stoked about the house, but the closets are smaller than we have now. I have big plans!!
My kids are 2, 3 and 5! Sleep and patience are in short supply.
The Green Sheep A Natural Parenting store FACEBOOK
I sew, too! Kenna's Felt Forest
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
My Mood:

Ok I will try to post some pictures but my closets have not really been purged yet. I work on them slowly but they still need a TON of work. Maybe this will motivate me to get a move on with it. I will try to get them uploaded during nap time today.
Privacy? Who needs privacy
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

double rods are totally key. Esp for kids stuff... you save so much space that way.
DH and I redid a couple closets with the track-and-brackets stuff you can get at home depot... perfect and only $100/closet or so (as oppsed to the $1k/closet our BIL spent). So we each have rows of drawers and we switch them around based on season (ie I just moved the sweaters drawer waaay up high and brought down the swimwear/shorts drawer).
Also those "hang multiple hooks over the door" thingies are super helpful if you're running out of room. We have them on about every door in our house.
+ + +
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'll post some pics later. We live in Japan where apparently they don't believe in storage, lol. Each bedroom has a closet and that's it, no hall, linen or bathroom closets for us. We refuse to give up space for dressers so I use hanging shelf organizers.
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote