Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ok to let 4mth old sleep on belly??

Consdiering we had to have our first son's head evaluated for a helmet (his head corrected it self and is fine now b/c we took action) we totally plan to do belly sleeping w/ our next baby. The Back to Sleep movement is causing a huge rise in plagiocephaly! Im not saying back sleeping doesn't have its place but I think, like the others said, its generally okay.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they're strong enough to lift head/get on belly by themselves, they're probably fine. You couldn't keep DD on her back if you tried, so I just let her choose. When I was born, they told my Mom to put me on a sheepskin and use blankets since I was a preemie. So, here I was, a 34-Weeker, laying on my belly or side on a sheepskin, with a blanket. LOL. I think there's definitely a genetic predisposition to SIDS, so I wouldn't worry too much about the position-- I think there's definitely more to it than position.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was a preemie and had some reflux issues early on so we used a foam wedge thingy designed to keep her on her side and she seemed to like it. With DS, I had learned to cradle him and nurse him while I slept (I know it's not "recommended") and we both slept great! Any other time when he was in his crib, he preferred to sleep on his belly. Of course, make sure there's nothing "fluffy" in the crib.

I'd recently read that the toxic fumes from new baby mattresses were partially to blame for SIDS. Did anyone else see that?
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

My DS #2 did the same thing right around 4 months old! By about 6-7 months, he was back to sleeping on his side. No research behind this, but, I'd say that their neck strength is adequate by 4 months old to pick their head up if need be. And PP was right, there are so many other risk factors for SIDS, not just the tummy-sleeping thing. SIDS risk is minimal by 6 months of age, also, and she is getting close.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both mine would roll onto their tummys at that age
Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
ellismommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my kids have slept on their tummy's from day 1!! My pedi told me (when I asked if it was ok) that one of the main reasons the # of SIDS cases has gone down was because of the increase of Folic Acid in our pregnancy diets NOT because we put kids to sleep on their backs. The folic acid helps mature babies nervous systems. She said that the AAP kind of jumped on the bandwagon after the folic acid findings and started their "back to sleep" campaign. She said that all it's really done is create more acid reflux problems in babies. This totally calmed my fears and I hope it helps you too. Please don't start a debate about this subject I'm just passing on info that was given to me Don't blame the messenger

Loving being Cameron's wife , and a SAHM to Rylee Lauren (3) & Lincoln Noah (11 months)
ellismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

dd#2 is still a tummy sleeper at almost 2 she wouldn't sleep any other way, and so is dd# 3 and she was a preemie and wouldn't sleep but on her belly from almost day 1. dd#1 liked her side, and still does.... I've tried to lay dd#3 a different way and she will wake up right away if she is left on her back or side...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #18
excitednewIM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much ladies!! I feel so much better!!

We let her sleep on her belly last night...slept from 8pm - 8am!!

"Mom you finally figured out after 4 months that I LOVE to sleep on my belly!!"

www.littleacornchildcare.net
excitednewIM is offline   Reply With Quote