Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
teresabug
Registered Users

Unhappy Weaning happening faster than I hoped

My son is almost 9 months old, and we are farther along to weaning than I hoped, occasional sips during the day, but mostly nursing first thing on the am and before bed, though he seems to prefer 8 oz of formula, which is far more than i produce.

I night weaned him, because in the wake of 2 serious eye surgeries when he was 4 months old, my anxiety got out of control and I desperately needed sleep. When he started eating solids at 5 months (again earlier than I thought it would happen--he grabbed my bowl from the table!), supply went down. But the kicker was having hip surgery, when he went to daycare for one month while I recovered. I pumped, but just couldn't produce enough..two pumping session of 1.5 hours total yielded 5 oz. total.

When he came back home to me full-time last month, I tried slowly eliminating the bottles, but my supply never recovered, he had too many dry diapers. So, now he's getting some bottles in the day, too, and nursing seems more and more about comfort rather than nutrition. It's also taking a long time to try to offer the breast first, when he needs more than I can provide. After nursing him both sides, then I find he's still hungry enough he'll need 8oz of formula before he can sleep (this totals over an hour of pre-bed feeding routine, while my 3 year old has to entertain herself!)

I'm disappointed, I wanted to breastfeeeding him exclusively, and definitely through 12 months. Now my goal is to continue with comfort nursing--producing whatever I do-until we reach that point. Thoughts?

Oh, and I did try domperidone in an effort to boost supply--I used that when I pumped exclusively for my daughter who couldn't nurse due to cleft palate. I tolerated it fine then, but this time it caused me significant gi distress, so no go this time. Perhaps this is more about acceptance.

Bittersweet.
Teri

Advertisement

teresabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
MoonZephyr
Registered Users

Re: Weaning happening faster than I hoped

My little one is 15 months old and due to migraines/teething/weaning/?? she isn't nursing quite as much over the last few days, and I am starting to realize there will be a grieving process to her weaning, whenever that happens.

I'm going to do everything I can to keep up my milk supply, assuming it's me. Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson is a resource I am in the process of rereading, and I hang out alot at realfoodmedia.com to learn more about preparing whole foods to eat.

I cried over this just today, so I can empathize a little bit with your situation.
MoonZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote