Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do i still need to pump at night?

DD is 10 months old, she has been sttn for about the past 2 months, roughly 6:30/7p-4a. I have been getting up to pump around midnight but I'm wondering if I really need to do this? My supply is great, I didn't get up to pump Saturday night and while I was full Sunday morning I wasn't miserably uncomfortable. If I don't get up to pump, will it hurt my overall supply? On the rare occasion she wakes up during the night will my supply be adequate for her ? Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unless you need the extra pumped milk during the day there is no need to pump at night! I never pumped at night and always had enough milk for the unexpected night wakings. Enjoy the extra sleep, I say!

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do i still need to pump at night?

It could affect your supply. It also can affect your fertility. I don't know if your menses has returned but it is usually those middle of the night feedings that help keep it at bay longer.

When I worked NICU, I would always tell moms to set up their pump by their bed with a little cooler pack. Wake turn on your side and pump, then put the bottles with flanges still attached into cooler bag and deal with it in the AM. Kinda like co-sleeping and nursing. You never have to get fully awake.

I think you need to do what works for you and your child. She is getting older so she may not need as much milk.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you don't need the milk for DD, then you could just drop the pump and your body will adjust in a week or so. I found that when I dropped my middle of the night pump, I was able to pump that much more in the morning, so you could just move that pump to right after you wake up and use the milk for your freezer stash.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
babyitalia
Registered Users

Unless you are trying to create a freezer stash, I wouldn't pump in the middle of the night. It will effect your supply in the long run though, your body will adjust to not producing as much milk at night. My LC told me that early morning 1-2 am is when you will get the most milk. I think you could drop your 12 am pump though and still be ok.
babyitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Abbigator5
Registered
seller

My Mood:

When my dd started sttn I didn't get up to pump. I noticed an overall drop in my supply after awhile. Now I am pumping in extra sessions to try to get it back up. I would keep pumping.
Abbigator5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

It will reduce your supply by approximately the amount that you have been pumping in the middle of the night as your body adjusts to not "needing" that. As prior posters have written, you can cut it out and will still have milk for those rare middle of the night feedings. The key thing I found in cutting out the middle of the night feeding without decreasing overall supply is to maintain at least 8 times of nursing/pumping to empty the breasts per 24 hour period. With my dd, and again with ds, since I'm working, it's easier for me to get one of those 8 in during the middle of the night than adding an additional pumping session (beyond the 3 I already do) during the day at work.