Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #91
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: S/O of the $1.50 per day

Another thing to think about is that many of the poorest people live in the cities...farming and chickens and so forth are not really an option...

Let's think about Detroit. There is so much vacant and abandoned land that they are giving it away to anyone who will take care of it. Any given person or community group could easily clean a vacant lot and plant a garden. The dirt is there, a simple how or digging tool could be made with scrap metal. Seeds would be an expense, but not nearly as much as it would produce. It would be a lot of work, yet there are a lot of people who need work???? We actually considered starting a church in Detroit proper (I was born in down river Detroit) and using this as a ministry outreach.

Advertisement

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #92
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
And I still see a lot of junk- er, what I consider junk- on a lot of these menus. Are we trying to do it with maximum healthiness, or just trying to do it? I'm just curious, not trying to flame. Because $1 store bread, white pasta, canned goods, and regular PB just aren't healthy foods imo, allergies or not, so any menu including them seems sub-nutritional to me....
But it's all probably quite a bit healthier than what a lot of the people living in the poorest parts of the world have access to. I mean, eating canned vegetables is probably still loads better than drinking unflitered water from streams that people bathe and sewage is dumped in.

And, while canned corn might be in a can with a liner that isn't optimal or might contain extra sodium (maybe, you would have to read the ingredients on the can to know for sure) or regular PB might have a bit of extra sugar, I wouldn't call them "sub nutritonal." They might not be the "optimal" organic super 100% BEST option over all others...but they aren't exactly empty calories either. Regular PB still has nutrients, as do regular canned veggies.

Not to mention that YES, the idea IS to just do it, NOT to maximize healthiness, because people in the poorest parts of the world who live on these budgets aren't trying to maximize healthiness either....they are just trying to eat period.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #93
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
But it's all probably quite a bit healthier than what a lot of the people living in the poorest parts of the world have access to. I mean, eating canned vegetables is probably still loads better than drinking unflitered water from streams that people bathe and sewage is dumped in.

And, while canned corn might be in a can with a liner that isn't optimal or might contain extra sodium (maybe, you would have to read the ingredients on the can to know for sure) or regular PB might have a bit of extra sugar, I wouldn't call them "sub nutritonal." They might not be the "optimal" organic super 100% BEST option over all others...but they aren't exactly empty calories either. Regular PB still has nutrients, as do regular canned veggies.

Not to mention that YES, the idea IS to just do it, NOT to maximize healthiness, because people in the poorest parts of the world who live on these budgets aren't trying to maximize healthiness either....they are just trying to eat period.

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #94
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Another thing to think about is that many of the poorest people live in the cities...farming and chickens and so forth are not really an option...

Let's think about Detroit. There is so much vacant and abandoned land that they are giving it away to anyone who will take care of it. Any given person or community group could easily clean a vacant lot and plant a garden. The dirt is there, a simple how or digging tool could be made with scrap metal. Seeds would be an expense, but not nearly as much as it would produce. It would be a lot of work, yet there are a lot of people who need work???? We actually considered starting a church in Detroit proper (I was born in down river Detroit) and using this as a ministry outreach.
That sounds like it would be an amazing outreach if you are able to pull it off. I'm not sure how they go about "giving away" land or what it would look like actually worked out when dealing with costs and security and involvement and everything, but it could be a valuable resource for the community. Plus great for the kids, mine love planting things. I was thinking about our neighborhoods here in Cleveland and where the poorest people live - many live in apartments with no yard at all. Having a yard was one of the things we looked for when we bought a house last year, but even then local ordinances prevent us from having livestock (including chickens), but we are doing a small garden and plan to add on to it in future years as money allows...
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #95
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Well, I don't eat all organicor 100% healthy, but regular pb and canned veggies really aren't nutritious foods. Canned veggies are the moldy, icky, rotting veggies they can't freeze or sell fresh. And regular peanut butter with hydrogenated fat and sugar are straight-up bad for your body, especially the hydrogenated fat.

I understand doing the challenge for 5 days. Totally, I get it.

I'm just fascinated by the people who think it is EASY to feed their families on 1.50 per person per day, with any semblance of long-term health and nutrition.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #96
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm just fascinated by the people who think it is EASY to feed their families on 1.50 per person per day, with any semblance of long-term health and nutrition.

Its all we have! We eat a whole foods diet, raw milk, Weston/ Price/ Nourishing Traditions style. Overall I would say we have a VERY Healthy diet, but it does require my work, a lot of preplanning, buying in bulk and cooking. Yes, we often don't have as much variety as some would like, but that's okay.

Like tonight we had:

Yellow Split Pea Dahl made with fresh ginger served over Brown Rice

Fresh Greens from Garden: Watercress, Kale, Spinach, Mixed Lettuce and baby Chard....all Organic with Annie's Natural dressing.

Kefir Smoothie made with homemade raw milk kefir and frozen strawberries, plus a touch of Soy milk and Maple Syrup if needed.

Super Nutritious Meal....probably cost in the $2.50 to $3.00 range for the whole thing, 0.25-0.30 cents per person.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #97
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Well, I don't eat all organicor 100% healthy, but regular pb and canned veggies really aren't nutritious foods. Canned veggies are the moldy, icky, rotting veggies they can't freeze or sell fresh. And regular peanut butter with hydrogenated fat and sugar are straight-up bad for your body, especially the hydrogenated fat.

I understand doing the challenge for 5 days. Totally, I get it.

I am sorry but really? Only the "moldy, icky rotting veggies" end up in the cans? You think the millions of people eating canned veggies every day wouldn't notice if all their cans of veggies had moldy rotting veggies in them?

And yes, I get that there are things in regular pb that are bad for you. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have protein, vitamins, etc
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #98
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting... I don't think I would do it (I'm tandem nursing) but I think it could be doable, and yeah it would be a lot easier for a bigger family (we are 5) - I don't actually think it would be THAT hard for us to live on $37.50 per 5 days if we absolutely had to. We definitely do get a lot of things we could live without...

For $7.50 per 5 days though, to make it stretch, without sacrificing on healthy stuff, for one person, I might do something like this:

$1.50 for a 1lb bag of beans.
$1.00 for a 1lb bag of brown rice.
$3.00 for 3 avocados. (thankfully we can get them for $1 here)
$0.33 for 1 lime
$1.66 for 2 bananas & 2 apples (that's a guess)
$0.50 for 1 tomato (another guess)

Probably would get boring, but possibly doable!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #99
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might get eggs instead of something else too... they aren't that expensive here and are filling

It's still not the healthiest way to live since people do need more than that. It's definitely sad to think people HAVE to live on so little!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #100
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I am sorry but really? Only the "moldy, icky rotting veggies" end up in the cans? You think the millions of people eating canned veggies every day wouldn't notice if all their cans of veggies had moldy rotting veggies in them?

And yes, I get that there are things in regular pb that are bad for you. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have protein, vitamins, etc
Well, I've got a cousin who is a food scientist, 2 friends who are food scientists for Cargill, and a friend who works for Monsanto. There ARE mold spores, cooked, so dead, but still, in most canned veggies. Yes. And of course they cut off or throw away the ickiest parts, they clean them up, but truly, MOST canned veggies are veggies that don't pass inspection for fresh or frozen, either by law or by company quality control. Then they are put into BPA-lined cans and zapped at high temps, so BPA leeches into the food.

My dh had a job he was considering with Monsanto Foods and we were horrified as we looked into their business practices. Just my 2 cents. You don't have to believe me, but the info I have makes me not want to eat canned veggies! Better than McDonald's? Prob'ly.

But IMO that's about it!

Last edited by momomom; 05-09-2012 at 09:00 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote