Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
MotherOfBroccoli's Avatar
MotherOfBroccoli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 167
My Mood:
Elimination Communication...starting late??

Would it be useless to start at 9 months? What all do I need? We have a potty seat that goes on the toilet, and I'm teaching LO the sign for potty.
Would it be pointless to start and only do it part time? When she goes to her dad's house she's in sposies and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use EC.
How often should I sit her on the toilet? Are there better CD to use while ECing? We use mostly pockets or prefolds.
Any other advice would be awesome!

TIA

Advertisement

MotherOfBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
jessicah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 608
Re: Elimination Communication...starting late??

Yes, it is doable.

I would start by paying attention to her bathroom habits by leaving her in cloth, coverless so you can tell right away when she goes. Start bringing her when you think she will need to go. Even if it is only first thing in the morning, right before her evening bath,etc. she will start to associate the potty with eliminating...it may take longer since she is already diaper trained, but it can still work.

You can hold off from sharing your new idea with her dad for a while. And then, after you have some consistancy from her, simply tell him that if he takes her to the potty, she may go...maybe not since she is in sposies and not used to him bringing her. But if he wants, let him know he can try and how/when she does it at home with you.

Babies, IMO, are extremely adaptable...I think they learn quick that at one house, in one scenario they will be brought to potty and then in others they wont.

As for what cloth is best... Once my babies are mobile I like motherease sandies, ecapants or gerber trainers. But if you cant afford getting anything, then use what you have...anything will work. My problem with pockets was that I couldnt tell when the babies were wet or not. You can get around this by laying the diaper on the pocket and using it like a cover,instead.
You could also forgo diapers for your pottytraining and just use them when you cant keep an eye on her or are too distracted to remember to potty her.
__________________
Jessica

Last edited by jessicah; 05-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.
jessicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
MotherOfBroccoli's Avatar
MotherOfBroccoli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 167
My Mood:
Re: Elimination Communication...starting late??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicah View Post
Yes, it is doable.

I would start by paying attention to her bathroom habits by leaving her in cloth, coverless so you can tell right away when she goes. Start bringing her when you think she will need to go. Even if it is only first thing in the morning, right before her evening bath,etc. she will start to associate the potty with eliminating...it may take longer since she is already diaper trained, but it can still work.

You can hold off from sharing your new idea with her dad for a while. And then, after you have some consistancy from her, simply tell him that if he takes her to the potty, she may go...maybe not since she is in sposies and not used to him bringing her. But if he wants, let him know he can try and how/when she does it at home with you.

Babies, IMO, are extremely adaptable...I think they learn quick that at one house, in one scenario they will be brought to potty and then in others they wont.

As for what cloth is best... Once my babies are mobile I like motherease sandies, ecapants or gerber trainers. But if you cant afford getting anything, then use what you have...anything will work. My problem with pockets was that I couldnt tell when the babies were wet or not. You can get around this by laying the diaper on the pocket and using it like a cover,instead.
You could also forgo diapers for your pottytraining and just use them when you cant keep an eye on her or are too distracted to remember to potty her.
Thank you! We do go coverless sometimes which is nice I'll try to watch her bathroom habits!

Last edited by MotherOfBroccoli; 05-11-2012 at 08:59 PM.
MotherOfBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
hibiscus869's Avatar
hibiscus869
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,200
We did very part-time EC with our kids after 1 year old and I still think it was very helpful in terms of them being aware of their elimination. I still think it's totally worth it even if you didn't start it in infancy. If you read the Christine Gross-Loh book, "Diaper Free Baby" she has chapters in there about doing EC with mobile babies and toddlers.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
MotherOfBroccoli's Avatar
MotherOfBroccoli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 167
My Mood:
Re: Elimination Communication...starting late??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post
We did very part-time EC with our kids after 1 year old and I still think it was very helpful in terms of them being aware of their elimination. I still think it's totally worth it even if you didn't start it in infancy. If you read the Christine Gross-Loh book, "Diaper Free Baby" she has chapters in there about doing EC with mobile babies and toddlers.
Thanks!!
MotherOfBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Pixi6s's Avatar
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 7,814
My Mood:
Re: Elimination Communication...starting late??

I started with my son at 9months part time. He is now 26 months and I think we were successful enough. He is comfortable on the potty and we have caught tons of pees and poops over the months. We use to just sit him on the BBLP talk to him as to why and read a story or 2. We did do the sign and the cue but it didn't really stick. Since we always have done it based on timing (its changed over time but about every 2 hours) that is still where we are at now - but I am happy we did it. Once we caught/catch one pee we could get in a rhythm and have pretty dry days.

I second the book Christine Gross-Loh book, "Diaper Free Baby" That really got me pumped to EC, even with late start / part time.
__________________
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
MotherOfBroccoli's Avatar
MotherOfBroccoli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 167
My Mood:
Re: Elimination Communication...starting late??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I started with my son at 9months part time. He is now 26 months and I think we were successful enough. He is comfortable on the potty and we have caught tons of pees and poops over the months. We use to just sit him on the BBLP talk to him as to why and read a story or 2. We did do the sign and the cue but it didn't really stick. Since we always have done it based on timing (its changed over time but about every 2 hours) that is still where we are at now - but I am happy we did it. Once we caught/catch one pee we could get in a rhythm and have pretty dry days.

I second the book Christine Gross-Loh book, "Diaper Free Baby" That really got me pumped to EC, even with late start / part time.
This is so encouraging! Thanks How often did you sit him on the toilet/potty chair at first?
MotherOfBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.