Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
gauchainla
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! But last time I tried the free and clear it did still have a scent and then I read an article saying it wasn't so great (can't recall where) and got paranoid...

Advertisement

gauchainla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Re: Make your own CD detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchainla View Post
Thank you! But last time I tried the free and clear it did still have a scent and then I read an article saying it wasn't so great (can't recall where) and got paranoid...

No problem... Arm and Hammer makes a free and clear type detergent... And that one got AMAZING ratings from Padded Tush Stats... Better than Tide!
MommyCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used my own homemade detergent for over two years now on all clothes and diapers with no problems. My original econobum covers are just now in need of elastic rehabbing and I have had no delaminating. I have never dried my diapers in the dryer, my water is slightly acidic (pH 6), and soft. I don't use Aplix (aplix piling was considered damage on the survey). I have HH, FB, RAR, and blueberry pockets; RAR, Flip, Kawaii, econobum covers; flip stay dry inserts, econobum inserts, a few hemp inserts, LL flats, and GMD orange/yellow prefolds.

If you look at, and analyze, the survey results the percentage of damage between CD safe detergent damage (12%) and homemade detergent damage (15%) is extremely small. The survey states that "over" 2200 surveys were completed. If we just use the number of 2200 to analyze the percents then 330 homemade detergent users experienced damage and 264 CD safe detergent users experienced damage. That is only a difference of 66 people. That is not statistically significant. Furthermore, the author states, "There may not be as much correlation between detergents/additives and diaper damage as we think. Or at least not enough to worry about."

Water type and drying routine also play a big role in the life of your diapers (IMHO). At the bottom of the page as a ** I found this, "I did find that those with hard water experienced more damage with using homemade detergent than those with normal water. Those with normal water experienced more damage with cloth diaper safe detergent than those with hard water. But I do not feel as though these differences were statistically significant."

My detergent recipe is as follows: 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 bar Kirk's unscented, 5-6 gallons of water. I use 1/8th to 1/4th a cup plus a scoop of sun oxygen bleach. Occasionally I rinse with vinegar. I have stripped once, when I moved here to this new water (I had to adjust my recipe then too). I wash/rinse cold, wash hot, rinse cold, rinse cold, hang dry. It works for me.

We are allergic to all scents, especially tide. So even if tide was the miracle detergent (like it is for many) I would be out of luck

ETA: I have used all and purex f&c, BG detergent, and RnG. None of which worked for me. BG and RnG seem to be similar to my homemade in terms of their ingredients, but they gave DS2 horrible rashes. The two commercial detergents resulted in massive buildup in my nb diapers (orange edge GMD). I haven't used either of them on my current stash.

Last edited by jc12551; 05-10-2012 at 12:18 AM.
jc12551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
I have used my own homemade detergent for over two years now on all clothes and diapers with no problems. My original econobum covers are just now in need of elastic rehabbing and I have had no delaminating. I have never dried my diapers in the dryer, my water is slightly acidic (pH 6), and soft. I don't use Aplix (aplix piling was considered damage on the survey). I have HH, FB, RAR, and blueberry pockets; RAR, Flip, Kawaii, econobum covers; flip stay dry inserts, econobum inserts, a few hemp inserts, LL flats, and GMD orange/yellow prefolds.

If you look at, and analyze, the survey results the percentage of damage between CD safe detergent damage (12%) and homemade detergent damage (15%) is extremely small. The survey states that "over" 2200 surveys were completed. If we just use the number of 2200 to analyze the percents then 330 homemade detergent users experienced damage and 264 CD safe detergent users experienced damage. That is only a difference of 66 people. That is not statistically significant. Furthermore, the author states, "There may not be as much correlation between detergents/additives and diaper damage as we think. Or at least not enough to worry about."

Water type and drying routine also play a big role in the life of your diapers (IMHO). At the bottom of the page as a ** I found this, "I did find that those with hard water experienced more damage with using homemade detergent than those with normal water. Those with normal water experienced more damage with cloth diaper safe detergent than those with hard water. But I do not feel as though these differences were statistically significant."

My detergent recipe is as follows: 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 bar Kirk's unscented, 5-6 gallons of water. I use 1/8th to 1/4th a cup plus a scoop of sun oxygen bleach. Occasionally I rinse with vinegar. I have stripped once, when I moved here to this new water (I had to adjust my recipe then too). I wash/rinse cold, wash hot, rinse cold, rinse cold, hang dry. It works for me.

We are allergic to all scents, especially tide. So even if tide was the miracle detergent (like it is for many) I would be out of luck

ETA: I have used all and purex f&c, BG detergent, and RnG. None of which worked for me. BG and RnG seem to be similar to my homemade in terms of their ingredients, but they gave DS2 horrible rashes. The two commercial detergents resulted in massive buildup in my nb diapers (orange edge GMD). I haven't used either of them on my current stash.
GREAT feedback! Thank you! Yeah, I figured the main difference was water quality, especially if it was hard... The ingredients in homemade detergent probably acts too strongly with hard water... With all the chemicals in it anyways. I only CD for about 10 months when my DD was little... I had to strip once because I was using All F&C... Then I switched to Planet, and never had an issues after that. We have moderate-hard water here... My wash was:
1 cold prewash - no detergent
1 hot wash - detergent
1 cold wash with extra rinse - no detergent

I put everything in the dryer for 10 mins, then took all the covers or pockets out to line dry the rest of the way. Then I dried everything else until they were done...
MommyCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Hey guys! I just wanted to chime in here on this discussion (thanks so much for citing PTS!). I did a follow up article explaining the small amount of damage with additives and homemade detergents. I hate to spam you guys, but this does seem to be relevant to what you are discussing and is in response to the other article page you cited: http://paddedtushstats.com/2012/03/22/do-certain-detergentsadditives-cause-more-diaper-damage/

I hope that helps!
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
batsilvermoon
Registered Users
Formerly:batmomof3
seller

I use soap nuts on all clothes and diapers... it cleans well and clothes smell like fresh water no scent
batsilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
kelly.baker725
Registered Users
seller

i make my own for my clothes, but for my own piece of mind, i don't mind spending the extra money on rockin green
kelly.baker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
kelly.baker725
Registered Users
seller

and i use so little it lasts a long time!!
kelly.baker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
dmbrown5
Registered Users
seller

Good info
dmbrown5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't like using the traditional homemade recipe. I think it wears hard on both clothes and diapers and leaves everything dingy. Mine uses that recipe as a base, but I add 3 cups of powdered detergent and 1 cup of blue dawn dish soap. I've been using it on everything and I've had no issues. I can't use any store bought detergents because of allergies, so I had to find a solution.

My i-devices are out to get me, please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote