Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: To lend or not to lend that is the ???

My sister loaned me quite a few dipes when I was getting started. Her little girl had moved up to meds. It really saved us some $$ since she had a few types for us to try out and learned that FBs worked the best for us without having to invest in other brands first. DS looked super cute in the hot pink dipes, lol.

That said, I'm not sure I would do it unless it was one of my close close friends. And make sure she knows when you give them to her that you want them back. A lot of ppl don't expect baby stuff back because of stains etc. Also definitely don't loan out any favorites! I have all my small fbs packed away for the next baby too.

I loaned a close friend my ring sling, but no way would I loan out my Beco! Well I'd let my sis borrow it, but that's it! The beco is too valuable to me, kwim?

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnah View Post
I've done this before.. and they were returned stained. I am really good about caring for my dipes and we are stain free. So I would just say to send what you are willing to part with (just in case). So you don't cry later. Even though not everyone is like that.
same thing happened too us what you could do is pick out a few you would not mind parting with and send her info on proper care and washing, you might want too send her a list of places she can buy each one in case she likes them. good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Laurithree
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalebnlillismomma View Post
If someone would have not let me try out some dipes, I would have never switched. That being said, I would only lend out some that you are willing to not get back. Also give specific instructions on washing, and general care. You might also mention(if you are willing) that you will pay for shipping back. With the flat rate shipping boxes, it's not too bad
This is pretty much what I was going to say. And to offer to help her find some on here when she's ready to buy her own.

I lent most of my small covers to a friend of a friend after DS was done with them. Thought I'd get them back somehow at the time, but they were just boring white proraps from before I discovered all the fun colors and patterns I could choose from. I'm excited to start all over when I need a newborn stash again, but that's just me.
Join Rowan's Sampler Baby Afghan Crochet Along and check out my Crafty Blog.
Laurithree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
cherryblsm
Registered Users
seller

You could just send her some that didn't really work for you and a referral to diaperswappers so that she can try many out herself. I wouldn't send her my super cute ones or anything like that unless she was family or my really good trustworthy friend who has the same values as you when it comes to returning or borrowing items.
Sakura-Single student mom to 2 sweet,wonderful girls, Born 8/01/04 & DD#2 born 10/20/07

Ebay Feedback
&TBW feedback username: Cherryblsm
cherryblsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalebnlillismomma View Post
If someone would have not let me try out some dipes, I would have never switched. That being said, I would only lend out some that you are willing to not get back. Also give specific instructions on washing, and general care. You might also mention(if you are willing) that you will pay for shipping back. With the flat rate shipping boxes, it's not too bad
So TRUE! My friend wanted to try CDs but didnt have the money and didnt know about all the different kids. I sent her 5 different ones. If I never did that she probably wouldnt have started.

I would DEFINATLY send her some with very specific directions on washing and caring for them
Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #16
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I agree with two things:
1) never lend something you don't have too much of an attachment to or wouldn't be heartbroken if it was returned ruined or never returned.

2) I never would have switched had a friend of mine not send me about 1.5 days worth of a mixed stash to try out a bunch of different kinds. She knew i didn't have the money to try out a bunch, she knew I didn't have a clue as to where to look and she knew I needed them right then, not a month from then. kwim? Had she not sent them to me, I wouldn't have had a clue. I did make sure to wash them properly, I did get another friend to tie dye a few and since I was living in the desert... I sunned the crap out of them (no pun intended). So she got dipes back in EXCELLENT condition as I didn't want her thinking I didn't take care of them and I was most appreciative at how quickly she was willing to lend them to me AND get them to me.

good luck mama! do what you feel most comfortable with!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
kterese
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very trusting. I recently sent out a pocket (BumWear) and AIO (BG 2.0) to someone I met through an internet buddy group a year ago. She only used MEOS and covers and wanted to try out the other stuff. I had never met her in real life. She used them for a couple weeks and sent them back to me. They were in the same condition in which I sent them to her. I didn't send her my entire stash or anything, just a few to try. If they did not come back to me in the same condition, or at all for that matter, I would have been upset, but not enough to ruin our friendship over. KWIM?
kterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just another idea for you...

If you're worried that you might not get them back, maybe you can say, "I can lend them to you for X amount of time, so that you can build your stash, but then I need to store them along w/ my other small diapers for my next LO." Or something like that. Maybe putting a time-frame on it will help you feel more comfortable, and you'll know exactly when to expect your diapers back.

I also agree w/ the pp about providing care instructions.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #19
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have actually lend my dipes out a few times to different moms (soem I havent met in person- they are a loop with me).. justto try differnet types out. I have gottenthem back each time with no problem. I say go for it, just dont send one you are especially attached to.