Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Kjellsi
Registered Users
seller

Tips for switching?

My second child has been the 'problem child' all the way and now that he is 7 months it is time to switch to formula. He has always been a very spitty baby so we bought the similac sensitive. He has been vomiting a lot even though we are only doing half formula right now. I am not sure if this is due to the formula or the pneumonia he had a week ago (poor guy!). Any tips for sticking with the formula and minimizing the puke?

Advertisement

Kjellsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
stacym918
Registered Users

Re: Tips for switching?

the similac sensitive has worked good for my daughter, and also the born free bottles worked well for minimizing spit up
stacym918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
gagenivy
Registered Users

My kids can't stomach Similac brand. I found my daughter does well with Gerber Good Start. Also, go half and half, don't do a whole formula bottle. Slowly move to the formula, if you can help it. Or you can go to a hypoallergenic formula like Alimentum.
gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Kjellsi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagenivy View Post
My kids can't stomach Similac brand. I found my daughter does well with Gerber Good Start. Also, go half and half, don't do a whole formula bottle. Slowly move to the formula, if you can help it. Or you can go to a hypoallergenic formula like Alimentum.
We've been doing half and half for about a week and are just now starting to add more formula. My dr also suggested the Alimentum if the spit-up continues. Do I find that at a normal store or do I have to go somewhere special?
Kjellsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
gagenivy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjellsi

We've been doing half and half for about a week and are just now starting to add more formula. My dr also suggested the Alimentum if the spit-up continues. Do I find that at a normal store or do I have to go somewhere special?
You will be able to find it at most stores. I know Target and Walmart carry it. Hope that helps!
gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjellsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagenivy View Post
You will be able to find it at most stores. I know Target and Walmart carry it. Hope that helps!
Just be warned - baby may not accept it at first, and it's expensive. A year ago, we were paying $26/can at Walmart (when we couldn't get coupons, etc.). Also, it smells like Cheese Nips crackers and tastes awful. DS wouldn't take it the first time we offered it - had to mix it gradually over a couple of days, and start with the ready-to-feed version (which is thicker and a little sweeter than the powder). I think we started with 1 oz Alimentum and 3 oz. of the regular formula per bottle the first day, then half & half the second day. But once we got entirely off the other formula, his tummy problems disappeared.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
CookiesN'Milk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try sitting the baby upright for about 45 mins after feedings if you can?
CookiesN'Milk is offline   Reply With Quote