Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
Re: mixing BM with formula?

you don't want to mix because of the storage time difference. If the baby doesn't finish the bottle you have to toss it because you have to feed formula within an hour and then you are tossing breastmilk with it. otherwise it is not a big deal if you KNOW they will finish the bottle in one feeding.

Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Registered Users

I do exactly the same as you -- two formula bottles at night. I prefer not to combine them, but I will if I have less than 2oz of breastmilk that is still good. For example I pump an ounce or two before bed, I won't save that overnight for the next day's breastmilk bottles, I put that amount in with the formula bottles we mix up for nighttime. If I have a full bottle of breastmilk though I would NOT mix it, but give a full bottle of mama's milk then a full bottle of formula.

(sorry I have a hard time typing BM... not poop... breastmilk)
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

mixing it is fine. I did a mix of BM and formula when I was done pumping and only had a small freezer stock left to get the boys use to fomula.
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by mrneilandamanda View Post
We give our DD 2 formula bottles at night and during the day she gets breastmilk. Should I be mixing BM with the formula, so she ends up with 4 bottles of a mix and the rest BM? Any suggestions? She tolerates the formula just fine on its own.
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
What's the need? Either way the amount of formula and Breastmilk stats the same. You gain nothing by doing this. Also Breastmilk digests fast and is a perfect food while formula is not. So keeping them separate is ideal.

It's like eating fruit alone, or fruit with a heavy meal. Fruit digests fast and u absorb more when eating it alone. Also, if a baby does not finish the bottle, it shouldn't be kept.

I see NO benefit in doing so.
I've done some more reading and some sources says that its good to mix the two because the BM helps digest the formula better. We've been mixing them for about 2 weeks now with each bottle (3.5oz BM and 1.5oz formula

Last edited by mrneilandamanda; 04-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
mrneilandamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Registered Users

We always mixed. I know everyone says not to but we did and it was fine. If your baby does well with it mixed, then go for it
Christ following family~~married to my HS sweetheart, Jason (6/95)~~mama to DD (5/00), DD (8/02),DS (10/08), ^i^ (12/09) and DS (3/27/11)
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
No Longer Here
My Mood:

I wouldn't mix let lo drink the bm then do formula so no bm is wasted
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
Registered Users

I mixed my LO's bottles 1/2 and 1/2 when I chose to start introducing formula. I wanted to ease the transition, and I knew he would finish a bottle. However, even if he didn't, I just dumped the stuff he didn't finish. I had an oversupply though so dumping an once or two didn't bother me!

We worked our way up to 3/4 formula 1/4 BM and now we are at 100% formula. No issues with mixing here!!
katybrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote