Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
nana2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Needing some dairy free recipies

My DS cannot have dairy so I had to take it out o my diet-while I've managed okay for 3 months I feel like I'm eating the same things all the time! I eat everything but anchovies, and while I'm so glad I have lots of fruits and veggies to choose from I find myself eating a lot of peanut butter for a filler!

I eat fish, and chicken, rarely beef or pork. I eat lentils to Lima beans, but somehow feel pigeon-holed with the foods I eat.

Advertisement

nana2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Needing some dairy free recipies

The best thing to do is find a milk sub you like and use it in place of regular milk in your recipes. There are cheese subs, but we really don't like them so we just skip the cheese. Or avoid cheesy type foods. If you you cream soups in cooking, there are several cream of anything soup recipes floating around you can make using sub milk. You can also use olive oil in place of butter in most non-sweet recipes.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use almond milk as a substitute and it works very well. I bake with it and we drink it. Daiya has a decent dairy-free cheese, too. Tastes a lot like American Cheese.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love this site. I also had to do the same for DS. I am Vegetarian so I had to go Vegan. I found her recipes AMAZING.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do still eat dairy and gluten but I love finding yummy substitutes!

For ice cream, if you have a food processor, you just need frozen bananas and overripe works well too! For mine I find it's better to take them out of the freezer since they are rock solid, and then it takes a couple of minutes in the food processor to make "ice cream". My little ones love it! I like bananas, but don't like the banana taste so much in the "ice cream", but I'm going to try to flavour it and I am sure it will still taste good. A lot of people seem to like it alone though. Oh I also freeze the bananas without the peel.

For pudding I just found a bunch of recipes for avocado chocolate pudding. I just tried it and used an orange instead of milk. It was yummy... my husband who was very reluctant to try it eventually decided he would anyway and said he wouldn't have even known there was avocado in it! It was yummy! (and we don't even usually care for pudding!) I also found I really like homemade guacamole. I never liked avocado before. Now I make it a lot, and use it for salad dressings even, and it is quite filling and healthy!

You can definitely sub other things with non dairy milks. I really like to use coconut milk but haven't had access to it in awhile

I use olive oil quite a bit.

Last edited by mel j; 05-14-2012 at 05:29 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
nana2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mamas! Awesome advice and link! I tried almond milk making mashed potatoes last night and it was pretty good! I have been using olive oil to cook in, but I do miss little things like 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee.
nana2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hey mama- I'm giving up multiple foods for my ds too. I love coconut milk in my coffee!! it's creamier than almond milk, So Delicious is the best brand. You can really make a lot still- coconut milk is mild and can replace regular milk on baking and other dishes; and you can use earth balance butter spreads for baking, ect. When I could eat soy i'd put some soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, & garlic together for a sauce ( kind of like bulgogi sauce) and pour it over whatever chicken I was using & veggies and cook in the crock pot.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

love the SoDelicious brand! they have creamer, yogurt, kefir, ice cream. . .it's all good!

I too use almond milk in baking/cooking with no problem. cheese is the only thing I've found no really good alternative for. I make an awesome cashew cream. . .http://talronnen.ca/recipes/cashew-cream/

and I just made this tonight and it was delish (no dairy sub needed ) http://www.thenakedkitchen.com/crispy-fried-rice/
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2009 View Post
Thanks mamas! Awesome advice and link! I tried almond milk making mashed potatoes last night and it was pretty good! I have been using olive oil to cook in, but I do miss little things like 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee.
Try the SoDelicious brand Coconut milk coffee creamer. It comes in french vanilla, hazelnut & plain. It was soooooo good. I found it at WHole Foods & Sprouts out here.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
ananemone
Registered Users
seller

we've decided to go dairy-free for moral reasons (mostly because I was breastfeeding my infant daughter and had a realization about where milk actually comes from); thanks for the links! We use a lot of coconut as a substitute in sweetish things (especially as a sub for butter)
ananemone is offline   Reply With Quote