Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Silly Question

My dd will be 2 in Oct. She seems very interested in learning things. Likes to learn words, animals, read books, etc. So I'd like to start semi-formally homeschooling her. Nothing elaborate just working on colors, counting, alphabet, stuff like that.

My question is should I just work on one thing at a time until she gets it. For example, should I just teach her colors for a month and then switch to something else. Or is it better to do colors for a little while and later in the day work on numbers? Does this make any sense at all. I don't know that much about teaching and I'm afraid I'm just going to confuse and make her worse off then if I did nothing at all.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Silly Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysia101 View Post
My dd will be 2 in Oct. She seems very interested in learning things. Likes to learn words, animals, read books, etc. So I'd like to start semi-formally homeschooling her. Nothing elaborate just working on colors, counting, alphabet, stuff like that.

My question is should I just work on one thing at a time until she gets it. For example, should I just teach her colors for a month and then switch to something else. Or is it better to do colors for a little while and later in the day work on numbers? Does this make any sense at all. I don't know that much about teaching and I'm afraid I'm just going to confuse and make her worse off then if I did nothing at all.
What we did for my dd was pick a letter and then work from that for a week. For instance, say you used the letter 'B'. We would learn that the color blue started with that letter as did birds, bees, etc... We would also eat as much food as possible that started with b such as burgers, blueberries, buffalo, etc...

Another fun thing you could do is have her draw a picture of how the weather is each day. This get's her looking at her surroundings. Go outside with her and have her sit down to draw what it looks like outside. When it's too cold or rainy out, just take her out to the door and open it up for a few minutes and look at it together.

I don't know if you're a Christian or not but if you are teach her how God made the trees, the sun, flowers, etc... and he made her special too.

You really don't need to get into anything major at this age. If you do start with letter writing, try to make sure each letter is formed to perfection (as best as she can at this age) before moving on.

Above all else, have fun mama Have her help you do the laundry by sorting it or putting it in and washer and in the drier. Have her help put away dishes, etc... She can even learn at this age how to make a simple sandwich. Teach her life skills
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a almost 18mo old.... I'm keeping my eye on this post!!

Thanks for the excellent question Mama!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, at a young age I am all for the unschooling or learning through play. I didn't formally teach my son anything until he wanted to learn to read at 3.5.

At 2 we bought the Leap Frog letter factory and that taught him all the letters and their sounds after just a week of watching once a day. That movie is awesome and so fun and only $10 at target (gotta love that!) My kids still watch it and my 16 month old goes around making all the sounds. She doesn't know what the letters are or that the sounds are linked to the letters, but she loves making the sounds and singing the songs and I know she'll pick it up quick on her own from that movie.

I also say just let them learn through playing is because that's what they are supposed to be doing at this age. They are naturally curious and want to learn at this age so take full advantage of that, but let them play at the same time. My son was almost 2.5 before he learned his colors. I tried just periodically throughout the day just saying the couch is green. Let's go sit on the green couch. Or when eating, look the table is brown or your shirt is red. He didn't want to pay attention! he could care less. So I tried flash cards, etc. still he didn't care. Well he got a bunch of matchbox cars for his birthday and finally when he was almost 2.5, when we were playing with cars, I said that's a red car. Mommy's going to play with the green car. In a day he knew all his colors including like blue-green, etc He had a lot of cars! Then he went on to learn the make and model of each car, thanks to dad saying that's a red porche. Thank goodness they right the make and model on the bottom of each car because I had no clue and he kept asking until he learned them on his own. Then people would come over and he'd be crying where's my VW bug and porche? I want my porche...LOL. Great! I had no clue which car he was looking for. He doesn't remember now the makes and models but it was important then!

Kids will learn best when they are doing something they are really interested in...and not forced into learning. I think you should totally guide them to learning by teaching them during play and providing new things to learn new stuff, etc.

My son also learned to write his letters from the leap frog letter factory at 2.5. He would get his magna doodle out and watch the movie and they guy writes each letter on a little chalkboard and he'd just copy the guy. I never told him to write the letters, but gave him the opportunities.

So if you think of something you want them to learn, find a fun playing way to teach it (who loves flashcards?) and they'll learn and remember what they learn best this way.

Like for letters that movie

for shapes this toy is awesome: http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_product.php?id=832 I kept this on a shelf and we'd play it together. I'd say a triangle goes here, let's find the triangle and they'd just have to match the shapes...it's just like a regular puzzle but using the basic shapes the whole time (triangle, circle, oval, square and rectangle) and they make flowers, kites, birds, boats, fire truck, etc. so my kids loved it and it's how they learned their shapes.

Just watch what your kids already love to do and figure a way to add a little more learning into it and they'll pick it up easily without much effort or stress at all.

ETA: Once they start learning some things on rainy days I would make up quizes that were fun. I'd cut out a huge triangle, circle and square and give them 3 objects (socks rolled up, penny, baby food jar lid) and say through the lid on the circle, throw the penny on the square, etc. They thought it was fun, but they need to have started learning these before had otherwise it'd be frustrating for them at this age. There's lots of little on the fly games you could play. Sometimes I'd ask my son what the "A" sound was and tickle him until he told me. I knew he knew and it was repitition. I'd stop and reask the question if it was taking him a while to respond. He still asks to play this game.

Last edited by momma2three; 07-29-2007 at 07:00 PM.
momma2three is offline   Reply With Quote