Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can I see your birth plan?

Titles says it all. I'm determined to get mine written up this week and wanna peek at some examples.

Also, if it's an old birth plan, is there anything you wish you had added or omitted?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
jessieof5
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can I see your birth plan?

this is my 4th and i never make one. Well i think for #1 I did but it was way too long and I didnt use any of it anyway.
so heres mine:
(hopefully) go into labor on my own.
go to hospital.
get an epidual.
get the antibiotics if Im gbs+ again.
have the baby and snuggle with him for awhile before anyone else gets to see him ( besides dh of course).
pretty easy huh? lol.
jessieof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is mine I'm birthing outside the hospital though, so this is just in case of emergency tranfer. And no, it's not overly friendly. When it comes to my wishes in birth I can be a b.

(blocked out last names)

Birth Plan
Kelsey and Kale R___

During labor:

- I would like to move freely and have food and/or fluids if desired.
- If at all possible, I would prefer the baby to be intermittently listened to on a stethoscope rather than continuously monitored by electronics.
- Please keep voices low, and lights dimmed.
- It is very important to us to have a completely natural child birth. Please NO offering of pain medication. Would prefer a nurse familiar and supportive of natural birth if possible.
- We prefer to let labor progress naturally with no use of pitocin or rupture of membranes.
-Please keep vaginal checks to a minimum.

Pushing/Birth:

- I would prefer spontaneous, non directed pushing when I feel the urge.
- I would like a warm compress on my perineum if possible.
- Would prefer a quiet room with minimal chatter.
- Please, NO episotomy, unless the heart rate of the baby continues to drop, and I am warned beforehand.
- After baby is born, I ask he be placed immediately on my chest for optimal bonding. Immediate cleaning of skin not necessary.
- Please, only administer pitocin after birth if bleeding appears to be too heavy. Would prefer uterine massage or nipple stimualtion to help my uterus contract, if at all possible.

After birth baby care:
- Father will cut the cord only after it has completely stopped pulsating.
- Do not dispose of the placenta, please. We would like it stored and with be taking it will us upon leaving.
- Please NO nursery care. We would like to room in with baby, and will be accompanied by either me (Kelsey R___) the father (Kale ___) or the grandmother (Leslie ____) at all times.
- Baby to be breastfed ONLY. This means no bottles, formula, sugar water, pacifiers or artifical nipples of any kind.
- If possible, would love to have nursing help from a lactation consultant (if one is on site.)
- Baby will NOT be circumsized.
- NO Hepititis B shot, or other vaccines.
- Vitamin K injection ONLY to be performed if baby has significant bruising or birth trauma. Will be assessed by us (the parents) at birth. Please ask.
- Eye salve to be administered after optimal bonding, not immediately after birth. Would prefer about an hour.

The unexpected/emergency care:

- Please, if possible and time allows give us time to understand the situations and discuss our options if a problem arises.
- If cesarean section is necessary, would like to be accompanied by the father (Kale R___) and possibly (if allowed) the grandmother of the baby (Leslie ___) I would like an anesthetic in order to be fully awake during the procedure. Please, no general sedation if possible. Please preform a transverse incision so vaginal birth may be possible with any future children. Would like to see the baby immediately and have the father accompany (or if possible, hold) him during any necessary after birth care/apgars or emergency transfer.
- If baby is premature or ill, we would like full explanation of the baby's problems and would like to be involved in care and all decision making. If baby is unable/unwilling to nurse, I would like to provide expressed colostrum and/or donated breastmilk. Would like to get as much skin to skin contact as possible and accompany and visit our baby in the NICU. More decisions to follow if this situation occurs, please keep us fully informed.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My only birth plan is:

Natural, no drugs. I want to be in charge of how and when I move.
I trust my body to do it's job, and so should you.

Good luck!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Slayter_2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth Plan - My Name
Baby Girl - Baby's Name
Due Date: 02/12/2012
Client of Doctor
To deliver at Hospital

Thank you so much for being apart of one of the biggest moments in our lives. I know I can not truly plan out my birth but I have put together some wishes of how I DREAM it will happen. Dreams don't always come true but at least you have my goals to help you should there be any options and I can decide. Should there be any need of an intervention I would like for us to stay as close to the original plan as possible. Again, thank you and I can not wait for us to start.

Sincerely,
Me

People Allowed to be in the Room with Me
• Husband
• Son
• Sister
• Aunt
• Doula
• Friend/Babysitter

Labor
• I would like to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
• I would like to be able to have fluids throughout my labor.
• I do not mind noise but would prefer if I was not asked questions that require much thought.
• I would like to have pictures and video made from start to finish.

Delivery
• I would like to try to deliver in a squatting position, using Husband for support.
• I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
• I would like for Husband or myself to catch Baby.

Immediately After Delivery
• I would like to have Husband cut the cord if he wishes.
• I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating and the placenta to be delivered before it is cut.
• I would like to hold Baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
• I do not wish to be separated from Baby or Husband at any moment.

Monitoring
• I do not want continues monitor unless absolutely necessary.

Medicating
• I do not want any medication.
• I do not wish to ever be asked if I want medication.
• I do not want a routine injection of Pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.

Episiotomy
• If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
• I would rather tear then have an episiotomy.
• If the tear is not too bad I would rather heal on my own but would like local anesthetic to repair a tear if needed.

Cesarean
• I would like Husband & Doula present at all times if Baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
• If Baby is not in distress, Baby should be given to Husband immediately after birth.
• If Baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Husband will accompany Baby at all times.

Infant Care
• Once Baby is born I do not wish to be separated from her at anytime.
• I do not wish for Baby to be given the Eye Salve unless an unforeseen problem occurs.
• I would like to postpone all shots & tests.
• I would like to give Baby her first bath & not to be bathed again thereafter.
• I do not wish for Baby to ever leave my room.
• I would like for all pediatric visits to be done in my presents.
• Baby is going to be exclusively breastfed so she is not to be given any of the following:
1. Sugar Water
2. Formula
3. Pacifier
Slayter_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I would recommend first touring your hospital's maternity center and finding out what is typical practice. Finding out first what is considered normal for that hospital will give you an idea of what you want that is different from their norm. That will help you keep your birth plan to a reasonable length and focuses on what you really need to tell them. In addition, I think it's important to separate what is important information for your provider and what is important for your nurses.

I wound up writing a birth plan with my 3rd because at that point, everyone on my birthing board was writing one (I'd never even heard of them 11 years ago with my first). Well, ultimately, I never gave it to anyone because the things that were important to me were normal at my hospital - skin to skin after delivery, quiet, baby with me all the time, etc. Honestly, I would make one to give to my DH so that he can let the nurses and other staff/doctors know what it is that I want when it becomes important. You can certainly let your doula know as well, so that she can remind your husband. But, remember that giving direction to the medical/nursing staff is outside of her scope of practice.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want to write one before my hospital tour so that I can be sure to remember to ask them what their norms are for things they may not mention. Otherwise I'll be wondering eight million things after my tour and not know what to put in the "final draft" of my birth plan.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

Here is ours. I read Creating your birth plan by Marsden Wagner. It is an amazing book and so helpful in letting you know all your options. I did not feel like anything was missed. Although I do have to say having a practitioner who is open to a birth plan makes everything so much better. We started with an OB and when I presented my birthplan he basically scoffed at it. At 32 weeks I switched to a midwife in a birthing center (inside a hospital) and it was the most amazing experience! The midwife actually asked me if I had a birth plan on our first visit because they want to know what every mothers ideal birth is and try to appease if the baby cooperates.

Our goal is to deliver our baby as safely and naturally as possible without medical interventions. We understand that childbirth is full of surprises and that decisions will need to be made on an ongoing basis. This is an outline of our preferences, but do understand that flexibility is needed. We ask to be informed and given time to discuss any need for variance from our birth plan. We thank you for your support and advice during this awesome and life-changing experience.

Sincerely,
Chad and Kelly

Labor
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor
I would like to be able to have fluids throughout the first stage
I prefer to keep vaginal exams to a minimum
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated
I wish to have my husband present as labor support and other support may be decided upon during the labor process
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring
I would like access to a birthing tub for natural pain management during labor

Labor Augmentation
I would prefer to be allowed to try natural methods before Pitocin is administered
If Pitocin is necessary, pain relief may be requested

Anesthesia/ Pain Medication
I prefer a medication free child birth and will use natural pain management techniques
If I appear to be suffering and exhausted, then we may discuss a short-term epidural or other analgesics

Cesarean
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a cesarean
I would like my husband to be present at all times if a cesarean is necessary

Delivery
I would like to choose the position in which I give birth
I would like access to a birthing tub during labor and delivery
I would like an instrument free birth, except as final recourse
I would like to have my baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery

Immediately after Delivery
I prefer the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut
I would like to have baby bathed and evaluated in my presence, if this is not possible my husband will stay with baby at all times
I would like to donate the umbilical cord blood if possible

Postpartum
No vaccines are to be given to the baby at the hospital, we are planning a vaccination schedule with our pediatrician
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby
I would like to have my baby “room in” and be with me or my husband at all times

Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my baby including glucose water or plain water.
I do not wish my baby to be given a pacifier

Circumcision
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 1 thing written on my birth plan. No Pitocin!! I'd rather go for a jog to move labor along then get hooked up to pitocin ever again. Blech!
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmmama
I have 1 thing written on my birth plan. No Pitocin!! I'd rather go for a jog to move labor along then get hooked up to pitocin ever again. Blech!
This is my main thing too. I've never had it but it seems to frequently be the root of all evil in l&d.

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum