View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

my sons immune system was compromised for about a year due to a medical condition. When there were 2 confirmed cases of whooping cough in his school I had to keep him home so that he would not come into contact with it. The kids who had it were not vaccinated. While I do believe it is the parents right to choose, every little cough my ds had I was so scared that it would turn into something worse. I have other kids who attend the same school and could not keep all of them out of school.

Advertisement

thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday on the news it said that the reason for the outbreak in whooping cough in Washington was from *adults* not getting their boosters. Not from unvaccinated kids.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't bother me - it is a personal choice. I delayed vaccines with DD2

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
deadducky112
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have strong opinions about this but im not going to agrue with anyone about it, ill just say that I consider herd immunity so important and the fact that there are people out there not vaccinating their kids scares me and also pisses me off.
deadducky112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I haven't seen the poll yet as I am on my phone. However I DO fully vax and on time (hep B is early because of a family member having it) and most of our friends don't vax. I am not really worried about them though if we were living in WA right now I think we wouldn't be around them right now. To me, I can mostly protect ds out and about but I don't need a reason to create a super bug in ds and honestly it is the blending that could do that.

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 05-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
alice_hallett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We delay vax but when dd was born I was still on the fence about it. So I understand those that choose not to. I voted "no, but wish they would" because I feel it is their right to choose healthcare for their family, but also feel that society is missing the herd immunity when they choose not to.
alice_hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please explain herd immunity. Not sure that term even makes any sense. How could an unvaxxed child give a disease to a child who is supposed to be protected from it anyways by getting a vaccine?

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom

Yes it's pretty bad here . We had dd in the hospital for rsv and they were glad she didn't have whooping cough. The er dr said that all the cases they've seen this time were from non vaxed people.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
That's completely opposite from what I've read. I actually live in snohomish county were all the out breaks are.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfried2 View Post
Please explain herd immunity. Not sure that term even makes any sense. How could an unvaxxed child give a disease to a child who is supposed to be protected from it anyways by getting a vaccine?
Basically it's suppose to work if most of the population are vaccinated then those who cannot be vaccinated will have protection because the diseases/illnesses will not be in the population since most are vaccinated. While that seems like a nice idea, it's basically a myth. Some vaccines shed and are live viruses, so they continue to circulate because there are some people who cannot be vaccinated due to different reasons (allergies, complications, already being ill, etc). So vaccinated people can and do get unvaccinated people sick with live virus vaccines shedding and also because they can be a carrier for a illness/disease that they give to a non-vaccinated person. Vaccines aren't 100% so there are people who get vaccinated that can still get sick from the illness/disease.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, yes it definitely bothers me. vaccination is unfortunately not strictly a personal choice that exists in a vacuum. it will effect the children that live around and spend time near that unvaccinated child. it is a danger to others. i'm sure this thread will blow up with controversy, but just wanted to say that yes, it is bothersome to me. it's a matter of public health and people try to spin it like it's just another neutral choice for their own family.