View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
MJLViper
Registered Users

I think its a parents choice, and I'd never tell them otherwise. But I wish they would vaccinate.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
momtoGcubed
Registered Users
Formerly: momtoGsquared
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
In theory I'm okay with it, but if my too-young-to-be-vaxed child caught something from an older unvaxed child I may have a different response.
This. My ODD was exposed as a newborn to my unvaxed nephew who had whooping cough. Thankfully, she didn't get it.
momtoGcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
it's a matter of public health and people try to spin it like it's just another neutral choice for their own family.
eh, ive seen people with severe MR due to adverse reactions to vaccine. im not going to risk my children for yours
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Isn't the point of vaccinating so if the disease comes around, you don't have to worry about it? Why would it effect your child if someone else had whooping cough if you vaccinated for it?
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadducky112
I have strong opinions about this but im not going to agrue with anyone about it, ill just say that I consider herd immunity so important and the fact that there are people out there not vaccinating their kids scares me and also pisses me off.
This.

And Wikipedia has a good article on what herd immunity is. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Last I read, the majority of whooping cough cases in California were in the vaxed population?
I am quoting myself from the last post that talked about the number of incidence of disease in a vaxed v unvaxed population

When people say that more people get a disease that are vaxed than not vaxed, the statement is meaningless. It's like comparing the purchase of oranges and dragonfruit in central Ohio. Every store in central Ohio is going to have oranges for sale, but finding a dragonfruit is much more difficult. So, obviously more oranges are bought in central Ohio. But, given how many oranges there are and how few dragonfruit there are, it may well be that every dragonfruit in Ohio is purchased while a very small percentage of all oranges are purchased.

No vaccine is effective for 100% of the people. Most people are vaccinated, so there are actually more people walking around who have been vaccinated who are in that small percent of people who don't gain immunity than there are people who are unvaccinated. However, nearly 100% of the unvaccinated people are at risk for the disease, while a very small percent of vaccinated people are at risk. Basically, if you put 100 vaccinated people and one unvaccinated in a room with a whole lot of pertussis bacteria, the unvaccinated person has almost a 100% chance of contracting the disease, while only 15 or so of the vaccinated people will get it. Sure, if you say that 15 vaccinated people got the disease and only 1 unvaccinated got it, it sounds pretty bad. But, when you look at the meaninful data - 100% of the unvaccinated got the disease while only 15% of the vaccinated got it. From 100% down to 15% is a huge decrease in odds.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

eh, ive seen people with severe MR due to adverse reactions to vaccine. im not going to risk my children for yours
I feel similar. It's the parents choice, no one else's. A vaccinated child can cause an unvaccinated child to get sick too, some people would consider vaxxed children to be a risk to their unvaxxed child. It works both ways.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor

I feel similar. It's the parents choice, no one else's. A vaccinated child can cause an unvaccinated child to get sick too, some people would consider vaxxed children to be a risk to their unvaxxed child. It works both ways.
Good point. My brother is immuno-compromised, and I made a point of making sure he was safe around my children when they were vaxed. BTW, he has fully vaxed both his children with no harm to himself.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
SarahS12
Registered Users

Yes, it bothers me.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #30
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yes, it bothers me. Not b/c Im worried their kid will give something to my kid(after all thats why I vax) but that their kid will get the illness vaxes are suppose to protect them against. However, Im sure it bothers some nonvaxers that my kid is exposed to all the stuff in vaxes.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote