Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

If your child's eczema improved after eliminating dairy........

........how long did it take?

My daughter has eczema and it seems like it is getting worse despite slathering her with creams constantly, and also doing rounds of steroid creams.

We have done skin allergy testing and everything was negative (no allergy to dairy), but I am tempted to try eliminating the dairy to see if her eczema improves......perhaps she is sensitive to dairy but not allergic? I am not sure how that works, but dairy seems to be a common aggravator with eczema.

So my question is, if we eliminate the dairy, how long would it take for us to see improvement if dairy really is affecting her eczema? Is it fairly immediate, or does it take a few weeks to know either way?

Thanks!

Advertisement

gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Re: If your child's eczema improved after eliminating dairy........

I'd try that and gluten or at least wheat-free! My son has it but he has a plethora of allergies:-(. His eye used to swell considerably and it hasn't done it ever since I made these changes! My dd who is older (ds 23mos, dd 5yrs) recently started having patches of it but after eliminating dairy and gluten, it was gone within a few days literally! She'd had it for about three weeks too! "Never hurts to try" has become my motto when it comes to eczema because this stuff is NOT fun! We feel your pain:'(!

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

gluten is our culprit for sure, and after eliminating it both myself and my middle dd have experienced a complete healing. My oldest's eczema has healed considerably, however, I'm thinking dairy might be a culprit too. We saw results within a week or so.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dairy and gluten should be the first thing to try eliminating. It's very hard; and another culprit is soy. It's in everything you buy these days that aren't whole foods. You can't even see that it's a soy or not listed sometimes. Soy should be in line with gluten and dairy when it comes to allergy reaction for some. Personally I would put soy as the #1 cause for allergies. It's not exactly food that some researchers say people should consume. If you look at vegans for example, they need to take enzymes like Beeno. Lactose intolerant people need to either avoid dairy of drink Lactaid which adds enzymes.

But if you look at dairy before it's pasteurized, all the nutrients including enzymes are intact. Soy breaks down during heat and really wrecks havoc as it tends to go against what people think when it comes to its protein content. They do the reverse for absorption of protein which could explain why people from many Asian countries that heavily eat soy are shorter in general. Some may say genetics but I know for a fact with more Western foods introduces, countries like Japan for example are seeing taller gen-Y children.

Here's a good article on soy (and will explain the ever so accepted soy-related gas): http://rheumatic.org/soy.htm

When I cut dairy, all my allergies symptoms especially runny nose went away. Like mucus, when the body produces mucus or phlegm it's a sign of intolerance or the body trying to reject whatever that's inside the body causing the irritation. I react to any citrus, chocolate, dairy, and do feel much better cutting gluten. I don't cut gluten 100% but will have a toast once a day but stick with rice and other non-gluten carbs.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

thank you everyone! I had no idea about the gluten and soy. I am willing to try anything, though......I am so tired of constantly fighting the rashes, yet still losing the battle
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we eliminated dairy from ds' diet and his excema improved a hundred fold almost overnight.

When he does get too much dairy (i.e. cheese/butter) I can tell within a few hours.

We drink soy and almond milk with no adverse affects on his skin. we were doing almond exclusively, but ds2 wasn't doing well on it, so we moved them both to soy.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should add, he never drinks straight milk and we don't give him any yogurt. I try to avoid giving him cheese, but he will get it on pizza for example.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love cheese...don't we all. Yogurt doesn't do too much but if I eat even a slice of cheese on a hamburger, I get a runny nose right after. Gluten just makes me feel tired. Can't be a good sign with one slice of bread :|

One thing I can say about dairy though, raw is generally better with enzymes but obviously people are worried about bacteria and such. We used to get raw goat's milk for our DD her second year or so and she loved it. It wasn't goaty like some of the pasteurized goat's milk they sell in stores.