Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
bsmcmackin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gimme some ideas!

So here's my situation...I work 40 hours a week at a job that I dread going to every morning and my DH work 50+ hours a week at a job he likes alright. At one point before our third baby that wasn't expected was born we thought about putting our house on the market and getting something smaller. That way my husband could get a job with less hours so he can spend more time with our kids. That fell through when we realized that we owe more on our house than it's worth. Now that I've gone back to work (this is my third week back) from a maternity leave of 9 weeks I find myself miserable again. I have been working at the same place for almost 5 years and when I started I took it while I looked for something better. I would like to get a job to make a career out of and to be truthful I don't want to be working here five years from now. Presently my mom watches my newborn but that is only temporary and once that's over we're screwed. We can only afford one of kids to be in daycare so for the two to be in daycare we've maxed out our credit card for the year almost so for three to be in daycare is financially impossible. For three we would be paying more than I make a my job so it makes me wonder why I'm still here when I'm not happy. If I quit my job I would have to find a way to make $450 to make up the difference (that's with the kids not going to school anymore of course) and that's not including insurance. I carry the insurance for my whole family so if I quit my job we're screwed too. We're trying to get assistance through the state for childcare but I don't know if we fit their financial brackett for that. I need ideas on what to do because I feel like my brain is stuck on the oh crap mode and I can't get past it.

Advertisement

bsmcmackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gimme some ideas!

No ideas but wanted to give . DH and I both work full time as well, and I'm sort of in the same situation (I enjoy my job for the most part though). However, I'm the one who carries our insurance as well, so for me to ever leave would put us in a tough spot as DH's insurance isn't very good. We are going to start TTC #2 next month, and while we have free child care right now (my grandparents), I don't know if they'll be able to handle 2 when that time comes. I think what I'll do then is sign up for our flexible spending at work for childcare. Do you or your DH have anything like that?? It might help a little... Hope you find something that works for you!!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is working opposite shifts possible for you? That's what DH and I do and have been doing since DS was born. We do have family helping out at times so DH can catch up on sleep, and DS started attending nursery school 2x a week. Even if one of us lost our jobs, we wouldn't qualify for any assistance, even though we really do not make much at our 2 jobs. Right now we are both quite unhappy with our jobs, but we're trudging through because of the way the economy is and until DS enters school full time.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DH and I have worked opposite shifts since our first was born so for 4.5 years. It gives me the flexability to work part time. I work around 26 hours a week. I miss out on sleep but if I had to pay for 2 in daycare I would have to work 40 hours a week and I know I wouldn't be happy. My DH has our insurance so I don't have to worry about that. I would check your state to see if you would qualify for state insurance. It should list the income on the web. That way you could just be done working. I hope you can figure something out soon mama!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'd say work opposite shifts or find what you can cut from your budget. also perhaps look at options for refinancing your home
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
AQW
Registered Users
seller

It really is a tough go out there, and childcare is so expensive. Have you considered watching children in your home? It's really not my cup of tea but it's a thought. I feel you, I have a job that I love but it is very part time and my child care is more than that right now. ~sigh~. I am hoping to find a in home daycare provider to cut costs. Other then that, Idk. The health care could be tough. Can you switch to your hubby's? To get it through the gov for all you can be difficult, but you should be able to get the kid's covered. Maybe you could do a 1+1 for you and your husband.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
bsmcmackin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas everyone I hadn't thought of state insurance although I don't know how good it would be compared to what I have right now (blue cross blue shield) although I'm willing to compromise some. I thought about doing a part time job in shifts but I'm scared I wouldn't get to see my husband ever. I also thought about getting a part time job simply because I want to drive my oldest to school next year because I don't like the idea of her taking a school bus. For those of you that work opposite times of your husband is it hard not getting to see your husband much?
bsmcmackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
universe2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmcmackin View Post
So here's my situation...I work 40 hours a week at a job that I dread going to every morning and my DH work 50+ hours a week at a job he likes alright. At one point before our third baby that wasn't expected was born we thought about putting our house on the market and getting something smaller. That way my husband could get a job with less hours so he can spend more time with our kids. That fell through when we realized that we owe more on our house than it's worth. Now that I've gone back to work (this is my third week back) from a maternity leave of 9 weeks I find myself miserable again. I have been working at the same place for almost 5 years and when I started I took it while I looked for something better. I would like to get a job to make a career out of and to be truthful I don't want to be working here five years from now. Presently my mom watches my newborn but that is only temporary and once that's over we're screwed. We can only afford one of kids to be in daycare so for the two to be in daycare we've maxed out our credit card for the year almost so for three to be in daycare is financially impossible. For three we would be paying more than I make a my job so it makes me wonder why I'm still here when I'm not happy. If I quit my job I would have to find a way to make $450 to make up the difference (that's with the kids not going to school anymore of course) and that's not including insurance. I carry the insurance for my whole family so if I quit my job we're screwed too. We're trying to get assistance through the state for childcare but I don't know if we fit their financial brackett for that. I need ideas on what to do because I feel like my brain is stuck on the oh crap mode and I can't get past it.
check this out im trying it out too to make big money! i have friends that are making like an extra 3,000 a month http://alanahoconnor.bodybyvi.com/