Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mastitis?

I have pain on the bottom side of my left breast, I did recently have a crack on that nipple but it healed up. I don't have a fever or anything like that, just soreness.

If yes, should I go to urgent care or wait until monday to call to get in to see one of the mw's?

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Plugged duct? Try massaging and nursing a ton on that side, and search Kellymom.com for info about plugged ducts. I think you would *know* if it was mastitis, as in the pain might be more severe. But a plugged duct can lead to that if it's not taken care of, so don't be afraid to go to urgent care if you feel you need to.

Last edited by Teexie; 05-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
sassym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mastitis?

It sounds like a plugged duct. Try to start nursing with affected breast first. Massage and warm compresses help as well. It may hurt to massage it a bit, but the pain should go away in a day or so. If you do not tend to a plugged duct, it can turn into mastitis. Pump if you need to empty the breast entirely.
sassym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
howboutwog
Registered Users

Without redness or a fever, I'd guess it's a plugged duct. I personally wouldn't go in without a fever but that's just me. Just watch it very closely. Nurse first on the affected side, apply warm compresses and massage, massage, massage to push it out. Sometimes it helps to nurse over baby or put baby's nose toward the plugged duct too.
howboutwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the pps. Nurse lots on that side, massage towards the nipple while nursing, warm compresses before nursing, point babies chin towards the clog.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Oh lord you will KNOW it is mastitis. That is the worst I have felt in ages. If you do run a fever don't wait to get to the dr for meds it will only get worse
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama
Oh lord you will KNOW it is mastitis. That is the worst I have felt in ages. If you do run a fever don't wait to get to the dr for meds it will only get worse
I have to agree with this. I had it when my son was a week old. I was so sick I didn't even know it was mastitis until the fever broke and I noticed my breast felt bruised.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess it must have been a plugged duct. It felt different though. Oh well.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like a plugged duct. You can use heat. Massage ( try putting a back massager on the spot as well as hand massage. ) And then pump or nurse frequently. Try taking a hand held pump in the shower. Ive had two plugged ducts and they hurt , they felt like a big bruise. They improved in a few days with the above treatment!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote