Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Need monitor help asap!!!

I returned a defective Safety 1st video monitor today and got a Summer handheld video monitor instead. Brought it home and set it up right before putting Maddie down for her nap.

The problem is, our neighbor has a monitor on the same 900 mhz frequency and I cannot get a clear pic of Maddie in the room, but if I switch channels, I get our NEIGHBOR'S son's room!!!

I felt so creeped out about that that I instantly shut it off and put it back in the package. Its going back. But I called Summer and they told me that since they are on that frequency, any 900 mhz monitor I get will be interfered with theirs.

WTF? What do I do then? I HAVE to get a new one today as we don't have another one! NoImage = NoSigImage document.write(pgdCode("

1 year 1 month 7 days since since we became a family [bg]! Welcome Madelyn Alexa! "))

Advertisement

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need monitor help asap!!!

The ppl at Summer might be wrong. IDK how baby monitors work, but here's what I do know...

900megahertz is the power of the signal (ie. how far it will transmitt).

The channels on your monitor change the frequency - this is the sine wave on which the signal travels. If transmission frequencies are close, you'll get interference (the A and B channels on your monitor are probably similar). But if you get a different brand of monitor, the frequency might be very different, and you won't get any interference.

The best way I can explain is like FM (frequency modulation) radio stations. Notice how the are never close together (like 98.5 and 98.7)? Because they'd interfere w/ each other. But stations that are father apart on the spectrum (98.7 and 103.5) transmitt at the same time w/ no interference.

I hope that makes sense. All in all, I think you might do well to try another brand of 900mhz monitor.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

OK thanks. I was REALLY creeped out seeing my neighbor's son sleeping in his crib.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
OK thanks. I was REALLY creeped out seeing my neighbor's son sleeping in his crib.
I would feel a little creepy, too. Are you friends w/ your neighbor? Maybe you could ask what kind of monitor they have... It might be a funny way to meet your neighbor if you don't know her yet.

You might also want to see if there's a monitor with a wider frequency spectrum, so you can be sure you're on a different frequency.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow that is creepy! I don't know what to tell you other than we love our Summer handheld monitor! All of our neighbors are old though, so we dont have many other baby monitors around.

It totally weirds me out though to think that someone else's monitor may be picking up him sleeping on his bed right now. Or me nursing him down.