Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started training for a, new job today. The traiing is full time hours though the job will just be part time evenings. I have a 15 month old that I would like to continue nursing but I could NOT let down at all to the pump. In 8 hours I got not quite half an ounce. I worked part time with my first and could never pump at home only at work so its never been super easy for me. What are some tips I might have missed.

I bought a brand new pump, a levels PISA (the same kind that worked for me last time), tried looking at pictures, relaxing, smelling her things, drinking water, reading,.focusing on her, pretty much everything that worked last time. I had plenty of milk (believe me!) But just couldn't get a let down., any ideas for tomorrow? I don't want this to ruin our nursing relationship.

Advertisement

Last edited by nursenmom; 05-21-2012 at 06:17 PM.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: repeat ? tips to let down to pump

I started by pumping while baby was nursing. I don't know who suggested it, but I never had a problem after that. I pumped the other while nursing for the first few times, and then I didn't have an issue getting milk out when she wasn't nursing. I did the same thing with this baby, and pumping has been no problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I would try some hand expression, at least until your milk letdowns..might feel more natural to you.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Two ideas for you (1) massage, stroke, shake (MSS) is a technique i used a lot.Try massaging your breasts while you pump. I would use a hands free pump (they sell hands free bras too) and massage one side, then the other, then both. (2) try shorter intervals between sessions and then shorter sessions themselves. Oh and one more so thats (3) make sure to change the position of the funnel often. That way its pulling the milk from different areas of the breast (actually I am guessing on why it works, but i would do that often when i was trying to get another letdown and it helped).
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, I did buy a hands free bra and tried massage before but maybe I should have continued throughout. And, regarding the pumping one side while the baby is nursing, maybe that was the difference with my first. That was the only way I was able to build up my freezer supply. That's good to know if this is something long term or for the next baby.