Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
suzefactor
Registered Users
seller

Re: One Year Old that Still Won't Eat Solids??

I'm stressing about this too. My DD is 13 months in 2 days, and eats...oh, practically nothing.

She was born with a bilateral incomplete cleft palate, and had her repair surgery in March, but she still does not want solids. She turns her nose up at practically everything. I keep trying to tell myself to follow her lead, especially since she's a late teether...she's cut 2 teeth in the last month (in addition to the ONE she had), and she's got about 5 more about to pop through. Plus she's a small baby. She's only about 20 lb, but she's nice and long...29". So, I'm thinking her body is still telling her she needs the nutrient and caloric density of formula...

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzefactor View Post
I'm stressing about this too. My DD is 13 months in 2 days, and eats...oh, practically nothing.

She was born with a bilateral incomplete cleft palate, and had her repair surgery in March, but she still does not want solids. She turns her nose up at practically everything. I keep trying to tell myself to follow her lead, especially since she's a late teether...she's cut 2 teeth in the last month (in addition to the ONE she had), and she's got about 5 more about to pop through. Plus she's a small baby. She's only about 20 lb, but she's nice and long...29". So, I'm thinking her body is still telling her she needs the nutrient and caloric density of formula...
Don't stress, mamma! If she doesn't have teeth, she can't chew solids. And if she's not that into pureed banannas can you blame her? You are both doing fine- don't beat yourself up!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to be the naysayer on here. BLW is great but it is not the best thing for all babies. Some babies have oral sensory issues or other problems and may need help.

One of my twins is almost 14 months old and she will only eat baby food and that's only if we can distract her enough by having on a kids show while we feed her. She has maintained her growth curve by getting enough baby food in her. She eats 9 jars of stage 2 a day plus 2-3 big baby bowls full of baby cereal. We had her evaluated by early intervention and will be starting OT to help her. They told us that it's probably a combination of oral sensory issues and reflux. She's already on prevacid to help. She's also going to be seeing a pediatric GI the end of July to make sure there's nothing else going on.

You are obviously concerned and have every right to call early intervention and ask for an evaluation. Don't allow others to tell you not to worry. Early intervention will be able to let you know if your LO needs some help or not and be able to get you the help if needed. If they tell you not to worry yet, then don't, but you are the mom and you know your child the best.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
KaytiCat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 14 months old and barely eats solids. We just keep offering small amounts and he eats some and throws the rest on the floor.

As long as she is happy and healthy delayed solids aren't usually a problem.

Maybe you need a different formula? Or try regular food that you're eating just without the salt or spices. My kiddo enjoys pieces of avocado and yams and so far that's it. Some spaghetti squash once. Just look for things that you think she can chew/mash up easily. If you keep offering she'll eat it eventually. Another little trick is to leave her food on your plate then if she gets interested in what you're eating you can give her her own food, or let her take it of your plate.
KaytiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Alysa_VM
Registered Users

is he walking yet? If so try the toddler formula! My son loves it iced!
Alysa_VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

I was going to come on here and write the exact same original post, except my daughter is BF. It's easy to tell myself not to worry, but I've been telling myself that for 5 months now so it's not working as well anymore! I never imagined solids being such an ordeal! We've tried homemade, store bought, BLW, different temperatures, etc.

I am wondering if something else is going on - some kind of food intolerance or gag reflex issue - so I'm going to ask for an OT evaluation referral at her 1 year appt and for an iron test (I feel like she looks tired constantly). One weird thing is that I've never been able to give her Tylenol, even in tiny doses, from the dropper without her instantly throwing up from the sensation of it being in her mouth, I guess. She also never took a bottle or a paci. I am not ready to wean her yet, but I didn't expect to have a completely breastfed baby at a year, especially with no bottles involved.

Okay, so here is my piggy back question:

Those of you who have had delayed solids eaters - any tricks for getting them interested in solids? Certain times of day? How long from their last nursing session? Any games? Any tricks you've found would be greatly appreciated! I'd love a breakthrough moment :-) I think she has no concept that food is for any type of nourishment.

Other piggy back question - she is only pooping every 10-12 days right now (she is still pretty much EBF so I wasn't too worried), but they are foul - no more EBF poop, but I don't even know if it's transition poop. If any brave soul knows what "normal" might be for a mainly EBF baby who tastes food 3 times a day or so, I'd appreciate it. I dread those poop days, though. It's the one day a week that I wish for disposable diapers!

Sorry for such a long post! Thank you all!
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
elainie
Registered Users

my 11 month old also doesn't eat solids- he is drinking some green juice now when I offer it to him. I had 3 others who also didn't eat so fast- one didn't begin until he was 15 months. Mine still having EBF poos at least 3 times a day though- he's also pretty long now at 33 inches but only weighs a bit over 20 pounds. My other babies (different father) were much heavier and so I never worried about them not eating solids.
elainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
tmg424
Registered Users
seller

My friends baby was the same way. She started eating solids about 14 months but she would only eat something she could feed herself. Give it time.
tmg424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
pioneergirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you only offering purees or regular table food too?

Don't force her to eat the food. Let her play with it. Encourage her to hold it and feel. Eventually it will end up in the mouth. Try an iron supplement until then. Good luck!
pioneergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
akstien86
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg424 View Post
My friends baby was the same way. She started eating solids about 14 months but she would only eat something she could feed herself. Give it time.
This is my son too. He is 14 months and only wants to feed himself. Like pp said, I just let him play with the food until he understood it goes in the mouth. If I hand him a pre-loaded spoon he will put it in his mouth, but if I try to give him the spoon myself he turns his head. It can be so hard! I feel for you! I think if you are gradually increasing exposure to foods your lo will come around :-) good luck!
akstien86 is offline   Reply With Quote