Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I Wrote a letter to the hospital administration

Sorrry, don't have time to read posts so if this is a repeat I apologize. Here the ACLU got involved, thought it was a VERY cool story
https://www.aclu.org/blog/reproducti...means-you-moms

Advertisement

Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
That sounds great! Have you already sent it?

My only concern is that signing something saying that you are going AMA (against medical advice) can open you up to insurance denying to pay for the birth. I'm not 100% positive on that in every situation, but I am 100% positive that checking out of a hospital early, AMA, or an number of other AMA decisions can cause insurance to deny claims. In fact, I know that if you leave a hospital AMA after birth, they can deny paying for the entire birth. So, I wouldn't be willing to sign that unless you clear it with your insurance or unless it is a risk you are willing to take.

I really hope they give you permission. That is just a ridiculous policy.
NOT true. AMA will not get a claim denied
http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S...798-3/fulltext

http://www.epmonthly.com/whitecoat/2...you-leave-ama/
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #33
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

The hospital administration basically just repeated their policy to me, but I spoke with a lady in person and I told her "if I can't get to the other hospital then I'm coming here to VBAC" and she said that was fine. My doctor is 100% on board with me coming in during labour and having a normal birth. He told me at my last appointment that "They can't force you into anything if you come in while in labour." and winked. He said we'll follow all the rules and meet with a doctor from the larger hospital, etc., but in the end, I'll just be making sure I have a well established labour when I go in to the hospital I want. I made it pretty clear to the administration lady that was my intent as well, and I can't say she was 100% against that either. I know she couldn't even hint that it would be okay for me to go against hospital policy, but from the way she acted and talked, I couldn't help but to think that she might just be slightly on my side, even though she can't be. I can pretty much guarentee that she knows I'll be showing up in labour in 6 months. Lol So the letter didn't work, but I'm doing it my way anyway. I'm the "customer" and I'll be damned if I don't get what I want.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Mommy View Post
The hospital administration basically just repeated their policy to me, but I spoke with a lady in person and I told her "if I can't get to the other hospital then I'm coming here to VBAC" and she said that was fine. My doctor is 100% on board with me coming in during labour and having a normal birth. He told me at my last appointment that "They can't force you into anything if you come in while in labour." and winked. He said we'll follow all the rules and meet with a doctor from the larger hospital, etc., but in the end, I'll just be making sure I have a well established labour when I go in to the hospital I want. I made it pretty clear to the administration lady that was my intent as well, and I can't say she was 100% against that either. I know she couldn't even hint that it would be okay for me to go against hospital policy, but from the way she acted and talked, I couldn't help but to think that she might just be slightly on my side, even though she can't be. I can pretty much guarentee that she knows I'll be showing up in labour in 6 months. Lol So the letter didn't work, but I'm doing it my way anyway. I'm the "customer" and I'll be damned if I don't get what I want.
Rock on woman! They really can't force you, just make sure you have good labor support!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
heatherjk
Registered Users

good luck
heatherjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #36
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

=) Thanks! The plan is to labour in a nearby hotel, have a friend of mine come with me as labour support and so we also have a better idea of when to transfer (she's a doula and student midwife), and then show up at the hospital grinning and ready to deliver. lol My anxiety is totally gone about all this now that I have a plan. Also, my OB is wonderful...at my last appointment, I told him how the hep-lock (which was the "compromise" with my last OB for not getting an IV) was horrible, how the veins on both hands were blown out, and sore for weeks afterward (plus it made it hard to do anything with my hands while IN labour), and I said I'd rather not get anything this time and he said that was 100% fine!! He also said he does not restrict eating or drinkingin labour because not eating can inhibit labour! =) So happy to have an OB who knows and TRUSTS the birthing process beyond the knife and IVs!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
I already realized I was wrong and admitted it after having it pointed out and researching it. You can see my "retraction" below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Blue - I've been told that many times, even by healthcare providers. However, I just googled it. Apparently, it's a myth. One site even said something like 57% of healthcare providers who were polled believed this to be true, but they surveyed 17 insurance companies and they all paid. Oops! Thanks for prompting me to look into it!

OP - That's great you have a plan. Good for you for standing up for yourself!! It sounds like it will work out great. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #38
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't help much but If you lived in our town. We have a HUGE birthing center (all about natural and water birth) they WILL VBAC and see no problems with it. They actually try and avoid C-section at all cost.

And to top it all, the state insurance pays for everything. But I guess that doesn't help you much

I really REALLY hope everything works out mama!