Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Meghan5348
Registered Users
seller

Relocating to cleveland - advice please!

So my DH just got offered a great job in Cleveland and we are going to be moving in the next few weeks. We are wanting to rent for a while until we learn our way around and figure out where we would like to buy. DH job is near Euclid, so what areas should i look at to rent? We are moving from a rural part of virginia and i have never even been to cleveland!
Anything helps... Whats good and what is bad.
Thank you so much!

Advertisement

Meghan5348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
OFMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Relocating to cleveland - advice please!

Hi I am from Cleveland! We live on the west and Euclid is on the East side, but I can give you some good ideas depending on what you are looking for.

I assume since you are from a rural area (I am too north central IL). That you aren't looking for urban living. I would suggest looking at some suburbs just east of Euclid like Willowick, Willoughby, etc. I haven't been out that way too much but we have some family from there. Mentor is also a nice family location. Also anything further south like Orange, Pepper Pike, Chagrin Falls, etc is really nice, but I am not sure how many rentals you can find in those places. Cleveland Heights just west of Euclid has some nice areas, but it is pretty urban and borders some bad neighborhoods in East Cleveland. Avoid the city of East Cleveland altogether. I know lots more about west side locations, but I don't know how far your husband is willing to drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
OFMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
eschillo
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Stay east of 271. Willoughby Hills is an awesome community, very pretty! Moreland Hills, Chagrin Falls, Orange, Woodmere, all awesome communities as well. We live in a great community in Sagamore Hills, it's a bit further south, probably a 30 minute drive, but it's in Summit County which has lower taxes...
I've lived here almost my whole life, aside from 5 years in Kentucky....so feel free to ask any questions!
eschillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Meghan5348
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice, we are sticking to the south and east in our search at this point. What about Solon or Mentor?
Also where do you shop, I mean what grocery stores do you have up there?
Thank you again!
Meghan

Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are pretty far south in Brunswick, but its an awesome place to live. We have Giant Eagle as the biggest grocery store. Marc's is a big chain and a lot cheaper then Giant Eagle. We also have Aldi's which is by far the cheapest but they do not carry name-brand foods, only their versions. We also have a ton of super Walmarts that have food also. We have Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Heinens also but there are not many of them so depending one where you move you may or may not be close to one.

There are Farmers markets all over in the summer and Fall so when you know where you are going you may want to look into the closest one to you. Good luck!
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
eschillo
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Solon, Twinsburg, Aurora, macedonia, sagamore hills....again all great areas!
Mentor is nice, but right in the snowbelt!
eschillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Meghan5348
Registered Users
seller

I so hope we will have an Aldi near by! We don't have one here in Virginia and I am jealous when I hear other mamas talking about the great prices there!
Thank you all so much for the input. I found a sublet apartment until the end of June. I am hoping that will be enough time for us to find a suitable rental home that will accomadate all of us.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
mlg
Registered Users

Solon, university hts, Beachwood, and shaker hts are also great. Brunswick would ba an hour commute. Macedonia, sagamore hills and some of the others mentioned would be probably 40+ minutes to Euclid. Solon would probably be where I'd stop looking bc that would probably be 30-35m to Euclid.

I'm in university hts. Cleveland hts someone advised against, however it is a big own and while yes, there are some areas near east Cleveland that are a little questionable, there are other areas that border university hts and shaker hts that have $750,000 mansions. So it really comes down to the area you choose bc a lot of it is very nice.
mlg is offline   Reply With Quote