Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Shaunam
Registered Users

Thrifty dinner ideas with tons of restrictions...

So I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and until this current flare-up in under control, my doctor wants me to avoid all foods that are known to cause gas (beans, lentils, broccoli, cabbage, etc) and/or come through undigested (corn, seeds, quinoa, etc). I also need to avoid dairy, but small amounts are ok, and I generally do ok with hard cheeses. My sister and aunt have/had similar problems and both had to avoid greens (both cooked and raw) like the plague. So I'm assuming I should avoid those too.

I was eating vegan for a long time and I've accepted for the time being I will need to get protein from other sources. I'm not happy about it, but I have been eating meat and eggs.

I'd love to just do a lot of eggs since my mom can give me fresh ones from happy chickens, but my son absolutely refuses them. He has since he was a baby and since his dad has problems digesting eggs, maybe his body knows something we don't.

S/O has blood sugar issues and can't do pasta, even whole wheat pasta. He can do brown rice, but not in huge amounts, and basically all bread products have to be whole wheat. He can eat potatoes, but in small amounts, like a few pieces in a roast and not a huge baked potato. Sweet potatoes are fine.

To summarize: No corn, nuts, seeds, quinoa
No beans, lentils, broccoli, cabbage, other gas-causing foods
Limited dairy
No eggs
Limited starchy foods, no pasta

So I'm bored to death with eating! We've been doing some fish or chicken with two sides of veggies. I made a roast last night. We had turkey burgers another night. I need ideas!

Bonus points for veggie/vegan dishes that actually have decent protein.

Oh and it should be fairly simple to make. I'm a decent cook, but if it takes more than 45 minutes to prepare or has more than 10 steps I just won't do it.

ETA: I trust my doctor because I've been following his instructions and have been getting better, even though insurance hasn't approved the meds he prescribed yet. He says once I'm in remission I should be able to eat what I want, except for foods I KNOW cause me problems (I haven't pinpointed anything yet, unfortunately).

Advertisement

Last edited by Shaunam; 05-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty dinner ideas with tons of restrictions...

What about polenta? SO won't be able to eat much, but since the corn is broken down somewhat, might it be ok for you and LO at least? It can be flavored to be sweet or savory to match just about any dish, and can be topped with pretty much anything you can put on top of a baked potato, mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta. SO can just have a smaller portion of the polenta and a larger portion of the toppings to adjust for blood sugar fluctuations.

What about using something like teff or amaranth flour? They're both higher in nutrition (including protein), and being ground could be easier on your tummy despite being whole grain flours, so they could stretch a little further in a meal.

Creamy soups made with alternative milks, like almond, rice, or coconut? You and LO could stretch the meal with bread and SO could just skip it?

This would certainly be a challenge, but not impossible. Mostly, you need to make sure it is easy enough to adjust portions of various components so that each person can pick and choose what is more diet appropriate.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote