Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #71
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

So, so happy for this update, Mama My ds also does not test positive to milk or soy on an allergy test. No matter what you call it, he cannot tolerate cow's milk. The end result is the same.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #72
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby allergic to hypoallergenic formula?

I read the first few pages of posts but got busy with the kids and didn't read the last few pages.. .but wanted to chime in on the EGID stuff... My DD has EE and was miserable for the first year or 18 months of life... I nursed her while being dairy, soy, egg, and nut free for 8 months... I eventually got tired of her reacting and trying to figure out what it was or could be that I was eating that cuased it... We started on a broken down formula with a big fail... started with an allergiest who I knew more about it than he did and didn't give us anything other than she was RAST positive to peanuts.... we went to a GI - he did a scope/biopsy and said yes she has EE... give her this milk based formula... HELLO! Reaction and failed rescope given Neocate -- she refused it... wouldn't drink it at all.... she started falling off every growth curve and even her own which was off anyways... we eneded up seeing some special GI/Allergy team that said first and foremost we need to feed her and get her nutrition back up cuase her tummy had shrunk so much and was having literally 1/8 of the calories she was supposed to have... we did a tubefeeding of Neocate or Elecare every night - 25 oz of it overnight to get her weight back up... after 6 weeks she was a NEW child... she was always smart and vocal but nothing compaired to after those 6 weeks of tube feeding every night... made a HUGE difference... eventually we went to the Neocate Splash and she would sorta drink that ok... but then got her on a diet that she could eat enought by mouth to maintain and even gain weight...
It was a llong and difficult road but at 5.5 she can now have some dairy, soy and eggs and manages to self regulate her diet and eat enough of whatever she wants that she doens't have reactions...
BTW her main issue was EXTREME fussyness and silent reflux that we found out at 6 weeks becuase of aspiration pneumonia (from 6weeks - 8 months she as on Prevacid) She didn't sleep through the night till after we stopped her tube feedings and she was 'healed'

I just had a new baby 1 month ago and he already seems to have super sensitive skin- I don't remember any of my other kids still having newborn rashyness after the first couple of weeks.. he still has really bumpy irritated looking skin... and already is having mucus poops - like snotty diapers.. so I just started eliminating dairy.. its SOOOO much harder this time around.. but scared of the formula issues and price even more!

BTW - becuase we had a diagnosis of EE with scope/biopsy to prove it our insurance company covered all formula by mouth and tube at 100%....

Last edited by dreamingkristin; 05-29-2012 at 06:45 PM.
dreamingkristin is offline   Reply With Quote