View Poll Results: Should I let my 4 year old daughter ride the bus?
You're wacky - let the girl ride the bus! 21 12.50%
It's okay mama, driving her to school is acceptable 147 87.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Poll: Am I a terrible, mean mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
The bus scares me more then school! People are so mean on the bus
I remember people being particularly mean on the bus as a child, too. Teachers are there to supervise during school hours, but bus drivers don't generally enforce many rules other than "stay sitting."

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Funny story for you about my parents bus-phobia

My sister and I really really really wanted to ride the bus for some reason. I think I was in 4thgrade and my sis would have been in 2nd? Anyways we finally convinced my parents to let us ride the bus home from school one day, awesome! I'm sure we had a great time on our bus adventure but honestly the only thing I remember is finding out my dad took a half day at work so that he could follow the bus home and make sure we were ok while my mom met us at the bus stop this was the only time we were allowed to ride the bus minus a few field trips which for some reason were ok but coming home on the bus was not ps we lived less than 3 miles from the school

Personally if we end up sending dd to public school she will NOT ride the bus unless for some reason she begs to ride the bus and dh can take a day off hehe

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

I voted let her ride the bus however I don't think you are crazy! My 4 year old rode the bus last year and it was his favorite thing about school. I did follow the bus there sometime to see how it went. He also was in the school district preschool and only other preschoolers were on his bus.
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think 4 and 5 is really young to ride a bus. I didn't ride a bus until 12 years old and even then it was a little intimidating. My mom always picked me up and as I got a bit older I'd walk home.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am anti-bus unless there's no other option. Not in a judgy sort of way, just a "not for us!" type way. The novelty of the bus would wear off fast. I allowed my son on one for a field trip once, but not as an every day thing. It's more about the other kids on the bus than the car seat safety or other aspects. I don't trust other people's kids around mine. 5th graders around my little 5 year old? Basically unsupervised? No thank you.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my kids were in PS, I drove them and picked them up everyday. We are a ten minute WALK to the school. 3 minutes by van. ODS was 10 his last year of PS and I STILL wouldn't let him walk home alone. Maybe I fall into the overprotective category too, but I don't care. Keeping them safe and alive is part of my job! And I'm going to do it the best way I know how.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know I am the odd one out, but my kiddo will be riding the bus to kindy. I work, and the little kids nap in the afternoon. DFS rides the bus to developmental preschool, and we have had no issues this year. The transportation services have been awesome. Until there is a problem, I am not willing to ask my free daycare to wake the kids up from their naps and load them in the car to pick DD up from school. They are used to kindy kids on the bus (our elementary schools are only K-4, so 20% of the kids are kindy kids).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You're not a mean mom.. I would do the same thing! As a young child, I missed my bus stop a few times and it was tragic.. I also was bullied on the bus.. My fiance, when he was a 1st grader, was punched and knocked out on the bus.. The bus driver did nothing about the older boy who was yelling that he couldn't sit with him and he punched him. I, personally, will not be sending my kids on the bus at all. Not with our combined experiences.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Nope. I wouldnt do it either if my kids were back in PS. No way.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I HATE SCHOOL BUSES!!!!!!

You always hhere stories on the news about a 4 yr old who was still on the bus after the driver dropped everyone off and parents were looking for them.

I am not putting my kid on the bus. Oh but I think I will also keep my kids in a carseat until they are like 19 kidding but not really.
I agree, think we can get car seat manufacturers to make bigger seats. Only joking a little. Or how do I keep my kid small enough to be in them longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I remember people being particularly mean on the bus as a child, too. Teachers are there to supervise during school hours, but bus drivers don't generally enforce many rules other than "stay sitting."
Lucky for us, we had a great bus driver, and the bad kids all got on last and had to sit in the front seats. But yes, too many stories of bullying on busses to make me comfortable with my youngster on a bus.

I'm just a little jealous of all the 4 year olds allowed to go to kindergarten. Stupid state laws.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote