Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Breaks from parenting

Absolutely not! I'm a better mommy when I can come back from having taken some time where I can turn off the mommy ears. The stress of being on call 24/7 sneaks up on you, it really does. Being able to turn the kids over to someone else that you trust for even just a few hours a week makes all the difference - I appreciate my kids more, I feel more motivated to do fun things with them. The best thing I did was take a job that was 8 hours a week, one sunday shift. It was an easy job that I actually spent much of my time reading, so for the most part I could relax, get some reading done, make some money, and just get some time mostly to myself.

Advertisement

Last edited by Computermama; 05-30-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ask a grandparent to take the kiddos for a week! Nothing wrong with wanting alone time. Or see if you can find someone for a "date night" every 2 weeks.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post
It's totally normal. I think that IRL people are embarrassed to admit it, and that may be why you're getting weird vibes from people.

An overnighter with your DH sounds like a great idea. But there is no one else to watch the kids? Could you plan a trip where you all go to the grandparents' and then you and DH take one night away?
My youngest still nurses and we live in tx grandparents live in az and NY and fl. I trust my neighbor to watch them and she will so dh and I can do to dinner for our anni but that's about it.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm a SAHM with 3 (soon to be 4) young kids. DH isn't home much... we have no family support whatsoever... no babysitters or anything like that. I would love a break, even if it's just for a few hours one day. I don't see anything wrong with admitting that . I love my kids dearly, but I'm starting to feel burnt out, and think a break would rejuvenate me. Too bad I'll never get it!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurkinsmommy View Post
We do this once a month, the kiddos go see their grandparents and we take a couple days just to us. It helps me out to recharge and also helps mine and DH's relationship out. Its not wrong to want a break from being a mom 24/7. Maybe look at getting a babysitter and having a date night once in awhile.
I can't wait until we move and this is an option we don't have family near by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Absolutely not! I'm a better mommy when I can come back from having taken some time where I can turn off the mommy ears. The stress of being on call 24/7 sneaks up on you, it really does. Being able to turn the kids over to someone else that you trust for even just a few hours a week makes all the difference - I appreciate my kids more, I feel more motivated to do fun things with them. The best thing I did was take a job that was 8 hours a week, one sunday shift. It was an easy job that I actually spent much of my time reading, so for the most part I could relax, get some reading done, make some money, and just get some time mostly to myself.
I started working from home with direct sales so I could try and get out more and well that's not working. well it is and it isn't LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Ask a grandparent to take the kiddos for a week! Nothing wrong with wanting alone time. Or see if you can find someone for a "date night" every 2 weeks.
We are trying to get to date nights more and our neighbor will watch the kids but no family. another thing we work around is dh work schedual right now it's 1am-9am so it makes things hard too
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I'm a SAHM with 3 (soon to be 4) young kids. DH isn't home much... we have no family support whatsoever... no babysitters or anything like that. I would love a break, even if it's just for a few hours one day. I don't see anything wrong with admitting that . I love my kids dearly, but I'm starting to feel burnt out, and think a break would rejuvenate me. Too bad I'll never get it!
I have the four kids and pretty much could have written your posts I feel that way too. the other day I went to talk with my neighbor I was gone 15 minutes the kids had dad at home and the baby was asleep they couldn't let me have that 15 minutes to chat with a girlfriend. if I go out to water the plants I have all the kids in the windows staring at me LOL. in the end I can't do anything with a child watching there or up the booty. I love them but I need a break.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for being honest that it's not bad
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
No it's not wrong. In fact it makes mama a better mama IMO

I don't get out as often as I want but dh stays home with the kids for an hour or so while I grocery shop. I take as much time as I want.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
I agree. I don't get a lot of time for myself, but when I do I am much more patient and happy being with my kids all day, eeeeevery day.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I feel the same way, mama. One of my favorite things is grocery shopping all alone It's the little things! I don't know your DH's schedule, but I have mine stay with DD every Saturday so I can take a couple hours to do the shopping. Before we moved I'd go to the nearest Winco 30 min away and listen to an audiobook in the car. I loved that long quiet drive! Now Winco's only 10-15 min away...I may have to go to a further one lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's normal and healthy. Sometimes it's worth paying a daycare provider twice a month to give you a morning to yourself. I have one stay at home mom who brings me her kids just so she can mop the house while listening to her ipod without distraction. Twice a month, every other Friday. I only ask that she pick them up before nap time. Then they go home and nap for her! Score!