Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help from special needs parents please!

I don't have a special needs child, but I am really hoping that someone can help me find this soon. I am not sure if anyone here has older children whose special needs require diapers, but maybe you have heard of something that can help me. This is copied and pasted from my post in the general diaper q and a forum, and also going to be posted in ISO. I want to cover all of my bases

In a nutshell, this is the situation. My brother is almost 10, and occasionally wets the bed. Physically there is nothing wrong that we are aware of (been seen multiple times by the doctor), he just has a small bladder and sleeps so deeply that he doesn't always wake up to go to the bathroom. He wears disposable pull up type diapers. My mom has no problem buying them, but I can tell that at 10 years old it is very embarrassing for him. He has to hide his diaper from his friends if they have sleep overs, and has to try to wake up before his friends so he can take it off discreetly. I know kids can be brutal, I really don't want anyone to tease him. So far it hasnt happened as far as i'm aware, and i'd like to keep it that way. So I want to find him some kind of cloth pull up. His sposie ones make the crinkly sound, they sometimes peek over his pants, etc. It's sometimes obvious he's wearing it.

So I'm looking for a LARGE pull up type diaper. It MUST not look like he's wearing a diaper, especially under clothing (pajamas), so that is my number one priority (white would be ideal, he could just pass it off as underwear or even wear underwear over it without colors popping through). My mom does not like cloth, so I don't want anything that will require special care. No extra rinse, no special detergent, etc. She uses Tide with Downy already mixed in, and has an HE machine with normal-hard water. Easy to wash is my number 2 priority (pocket with insert is okay, he can be responsible for stuffing, but it can't be overly difficult either; also due to washing concerns I want to avoid synthetics... And hemp, I am having major stink problems with hemp, so now I only use cotton or bamboo and would like the same for this). Also, since it's for a 10 year old, I *think* I'd prefer a side snap over a front snap or Velcro. That seems like it would be the easiest way to pull up and down,, you think? Price is not SUPER important, but ideally I would buy him 2 or 3 so cheap would not be shunned as long as it works. The last thing I would request is that it be available for purchase in stock somewhere, and that I not have to do a custom order. I am visiting only until June 9. Ideally I would like to have it shipped and in hand in a week. Obviously I know this may be difficult, but I really am hoping. I will do a custom with a WAHM if necessary though. (anyone want to point me in the right direction if I need that? Links to stores welcome in comments, especially if it is in stock. Also, I am not looking to buy anything used or Prepped).

I don't know his measurements or weight. I think he's between 48 and 54 inches tall (based on where he hits when he stands next to me) and is thin to average. He wears size 8 or 10 in boys clothing. If I had to venture a guess, I would go with 65 pounds, but it is a complete guess.

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help from special needs parents please!

How heavy of a wetter is he? My youngest is a bed wetter and he uses Snap-ez for overnight. The catch is it is super obvious that he is wearing a diaper because they are puffy. To stuff enough that he doesn't soak the bed I use two flour sack towels (like flat diapers) from sams. There is no special washing required but I would think that using detergent with downy would eventually make them repel. I use plain detergent, my dad makes mine because my youngest is allergic to almost everything but just plain Tide would work fine for diapers for most people.

A good option for your brother would probably be http://hyenacart.com/stores/mothergo...index.php?c=21

She may not have any in his size but she would make them. She made boxer briefs for my youngest and they have held up for years now. He adores them and wears them constantly (the little pink ones on her site are his). This might be your best bet for finding something that looks like real underwear while still holding in a wetting. She is a great mom to work with too, right here on ds.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote