Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicagoland moms- anyone use Homefirst?

I'm a little late to the discussion, but just came across it. We were just at HomeFirst in Rolling Meadows 2 days ago... it is beautiful!! We were at Naperville 2 months ago & that was beautiful too... they completely remodeled their offices, although the Rolling Meadows parking lot still leaves a lot to be desired w/the giant pot holes !!

We have been w/H1st since Dd#1 was 2, so it has been 6+ years. We LOVE them & they are the ONLY doctors who take our insurance AND support our "alternative" health choices (cosleeping, no vaxes, breastfeeding past birth, homeschooling, baby wearing, etc.). We had 1 homebirth w/Dr Zumhagen & he was amazing!! We all go there (3 DD's, DH, & me) & really feel at home there... very down to earth... they don't treat us like our giant size kids (I mean off the charts, VERY tall GIANT... our 8 YO is 3/4" shy of 5 feet tall! ) are abnormal, etc. The doctor's we came from acted as if I was feeding her growth hormones!! LOL

W/HomeFirst, I am always validated when I go there or speak w/them. They never make me feel dumb or incompetent, or that my questions or concerns are ridiculous. No doctor should, but believe me, I have had PLENTY that have over the years.

We would have had DD#3 w/them had they still taken our insurance for homebirth, but they do not. We had a private midwife for less than 1/2 of what they charge, & she was AWESOME!!! I'd have a baby w/them in a heartbeat again, if I could... assuming I was able to have another baby !! LOL

So, w/that said... they have some minor flaws, but overall, I don't know what I'd do w/out them. We have ONE doctor in the area who supports vaccine choice, but she doesn't take our insurance ... all the others I called (when I was calling around just trying to find someone local, as we have to drive 1 hour to Naperville & almost 1 1/2 hours to Rolling Meadows) asked me, "What is THAT?? Vaccine CHOICE??!!!" One receptionist even went as far as to say they would do whatever they could to persuade me to vax... uhm, thank you, buh bye now!!

We feel very blessed to be able to see their doctors & know we have physicians behind us who not only believe in how we try to live, but will fight for us, if need be. I have heard of them helping to make special arrangements for families w/sick little ones who had to go to special hospitals (Children's), etc. to make sure their babies/LO's/toddlers were still breastfed, etc. THAT is who I want on my side .

Lastly, I feel each doctor there has a special niche... I like Dr Rosi for his off the wall remedies because they really work!! LOL He is a little brash, but still very nice! Dr Zumhagen is my favorite... I found a new respect & love for him when he caught my DD#2... he was awesome!! We still joke about him watching Barney w/DH & Dd#1 on our couch, while waiting for my labor to progress w/#2... he told me to just do what I felt like doing, so I started to clean!! LOL Dr Schattauer also has a whole lot he brings to the practice. Sometimes he comes across as more business oriented, but he always seems to care & knows what he is talking about. Dr Eisenstein is awesome... I haven't seen him as a patient, but we are buddies via the radio show, his seminars (and he delivered one of my sisters!! LOL)... he referred me to a pharmacist who compounds natural pharmaceuticals (Mark Mandel) that changed my life. 10 years of marriage later (& 1 DD via IVF after years of infertility treatment that all failed before the IVF), we finally conceived ON OUR OWN.. now 2 times on our own!! They will all always have a special place in our hearts & family for what they do. Not many stand up for natural medicine as they do. Hope you find the medical care you need for your family!!

Advertisement

Last edited by daddyn4wisechix; 08-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
I did not ahve a good experience...actually worst pap of my life.....the dr opened the door and left the room with me in the stirrups and my personal space about 12 inches from the door in plain site of anyone walking down the hall. She had to use a child sized speculum b/c for some reason she couldn't get a regular one in...which has never happened before. And then when she did manage to get it in she scratched my cervix and i bleed for more than a day:-( And at the time they were charging you an extra fee on top of whatever your insurance fee was for the "unique and unusual experience" or some crap like that. I think they might have done away with that b/c people would complain about it so much. As bad as my experience was I have heard that some of the dr's there are great....and i am specifically speaking about 1 dr in particular that i saw in the naperville office. They have offices all over chicagoland and some of their dr's are outstanding. If you want to google more about them i think there is a larger response at mothering.com.
I can't think of the woman doctor's name I saw there for DD#1, but she was AWFUL!! A friend went there too & said the same thing!! I refused to see her & I don't think she is there anymore though... I could be wrong.

I can't believe she did that!! Jeesh!! if it's the same doc, she kept talking about obesity about my DD... she is just shy of 5 feet tall at 8 YO... she was 6 - 6 1/2 when she saw the woman doctor & still just as tall "for her age" then.. she has been since birth... AND my DD does weigh more than the "average" child her age, BUT she is also literally 6-8" taller too, so she should be heavier being that much taller... I don't have stick skinny kiddos!! Anyway, I was appalled w/her... even if she felt there was a weight issue, which again there isn't nor have any of the other doctors thought so, she should have NEVER, EVER, EVER said that in front of my DD. She is the only doctor there (which again, I ** think ** she is gone??) I would flat out refuse to see... call my child obese!!

I don't know if they have their "concierge" fee still... what a bunch of crap!! Pardon my bluntness, but really... punish those whom they DO still take insurance for... it was like $15 per person... THAT is a huge beef I had (or have if they still do that) about them...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Total spam and OT, but

Check out THIS THREAD for info on an upcoming Chicago moms meetup

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Total spam and OT, but

Check out THIS THREAD for info on an upcoming Chicago moms meetup
Sounds like so much fun , BUT we live so far away from Chicago... we are by DeKalb . Our only free day now is Sunday (after church) & we usually hang out w/DH as a family since it is our only day to do so right now. If there are get togethers next summer, we'd be game for that !! So fun to see the IL mamas here!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

oh my! so, i know that this is an ooooold post, but imagine my surprise when I was googling dr zumhagen from homefirst and this thread popped up as the first result! so, i'm bumping it up from the depths in the hopes that maybe someone could either give me more info about the different drs there, and/or similar doctors in the area? we're in schaumburg, and i'm trying to find a doctor for my son and baby due in 4 weeks. i need someone who will handle a homebirthed baby. my midwife recommended homefirst, but didn't know of any others close by (all her other recommendations were down in naperville, st. charles, etc. there was one in elgin that i might check out, but i'd really love to find someone closer). we went last weekend and has a consult/interview with dr. rosi at homefirst. and....i dunno.....i just didn't like him. i know he's old, and kooky, and the midwife warned me he would be, but that i just had to appreciate his eccentricity. and, i see what she's saying, so maybe i should loosen up. but....i just didn't like him. and dh didn't either.

i guess, what i'm looking for is either a) a different ped/family dr practice in the area that would be good; b) another dr at homefirst that would be better? less crazy/pushy, more willing to listen? along with info on how well consulting with one dr, but choosing another one would go over there; or c) assurance that dr. rosi isn't THAT bad, that during the course of general exams i won't have to listen to a tirade about how terrible it is that i'm going back to work when baby is 6 weeks old, how i should find another solution, examples of other people he knew who were good, sacrificing mothers, who took unpaid leave to stay home longer (which, i am, all my leave is unpaid. and dh is unemployed. 6 weeks is my limit, after that our mortgage will default. it breaks my heart, but i don't see another way, and i just don't want to have to hear about it when i've already cried buckets over it), and how it's all going to ruin my breastfeeding relationship with my child, and therefore ruin my child in general, amoung other things that he disagreed with me on that i shouldn't have to justify to him.

i applaud his support of bf'ing and homebirth, and his general hands-off approach to vaccination and medication in general. but i felt like, just like mainstream pediatricians, he has his own things that he decides are worth fighting his patient and not respecting their decisions as parents on, and i seem to fall into a couple of those categories i just want someone who will check out my kids, tell me if they have some horrible illness that requires treatment, give me recommendations and opinions for such treatment, and then BACK OFF

Last edited by Liadan23; 05-04-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
lotusblossom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liadan23,

I love Homefirst and LOVE Dr. Rosi, but he is very eccentric and will tell you exactly what he thinks. When I stopped co-sleeping with DS1 at 15 months, he started to tell me how I shouldn't and I was just firm and said, "This is what we've done b/c I couldn't handle it." He never said another word again and respected that I was not going to change my mind. He is my favorite at Homefirst but we haven't been back in over a year due to insurance and such and the fact that they no longer do homebirths. Dr. Schauttauer is MUCH more mild-mannered and I liked Dr. Zumhagen a lot too. I heard 2 drs left the practice recently. I know one of them was Dr. Chapman (she's one of the females there) who my mom loved, but I'm not sure who the other one was.

If you're looking for someone else, Dr. William White is great. His brother (who's also Dr. White) have their practices in the same building (same old feel that Homefirst used to have before they renovated but that matters little to me for the service I get). He is a very quiet doctor. He is pro-vax but he respects those who choose not to. I had my DD1 (3rd child) with him and I had a wonderful experience. It took me awhile to get used to him because I was so used to the brash Dr. Rosi, but in the end, I was really happy I used him. I don't know if he does family practice, but if he does not, then his brother most certainly does. You might want to check them out to see if they might be a good fit. They are up in Franklin Park.

Also, Homefirst does have a Rolling Meadows office which is by Schaumburg. HTH!
Catholic wife to my wonderful hubby since 2006 and BFing, CDing, BWing, and co-sleeping mama to M (4/07), M (12/08), M (08/11), baby Timothy in Heaven (04/12), and expecting #5 (4/14)!

Check out my Etsy store: http://almostdomesticmama.etsy.com Like me on Facebook for updates!
lotusblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Is libertyville far from you? I would love to switch to Dr. Elvove. He and Dr. Eisenstein were taught by the same man and hade very similar practices until recently. They have both stopped attending home births, but Dr.Elvove seems more supportive still....at least his actions are more supportive while homebody policies are more geared towards protecting themselves legally. Homefirst will not see your home birthed baby until you either take them into the hospital for a newborn exam fiour find another pediatrician for the first exam. They we're VERY adamant on this with my third son and it left a very bad taste in my mouth. Dr. Elvove didn't have ridiculous rules like this and of all the doctors I've seen at homefirst, non of them compared to dr. elvove in feeling like I was listened to and respected. The only reason I stay with HF if because the accepted hmo, but I was told at my last appt. That they wont be taking hmo anymore ....I'm almost relieved to start over even though it means a big stress looking for a new doc
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Sorry for all the typos, but I'm on my phone and it wont let me fix them
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Haha, how times have changed! I just read my first review and now I feel completely different! I can't stand Dr. Rosi! I've seem him enough times to know that he has a way of being swept up into the natural world and loses sight of common sense/well done research with some of his ideas....I am always polite and just smile and nod....but if you dont agree 100% with him, he can be incredibly condescending. I don't find him respectful at.all. I dont mind his eccentricities whatsoever...i thought they were funny, and breastmilk DOES work, but I am not ok with not respecting parents decisions. And I don't feel he does. Dr. Schattauer and hmo were the only reasons I stayed, but he is leaving the practice so....we don't go to the doc very often, maybe libertyville will be worth the drive

Last edited by harmoni247; 05-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
havenlilianna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, I'm surprised Dr. Elvove is still practicing! He no longer does homebirths I know, but he delivered ME in 1985! I was a 12lb4oz (largest girl baby the practice had had at home!) born to a 40 y/o mama. Good guy.

Last edited by havenlilianna; 05-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.
havenlilianna is offline   Reply With Quote