Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Who has a girl with ASD?

I know lots of mamas have sons with an ASD but girls are talked about much less. And seemingly girls get brushed off when it comes to diagnosis etc.

What are some of your struggles?

My dd is 2.5 and has an aspergers diagnosis and mood disorder nos. we are going to see developmental ped this year but are sticking with the pschiatrists diagnosis for now. She is in early intervention and adding a behaviorist this month as well. We do speech, ot and development.

She has mutism in social situations, doesnt speak to peers, hasnt spoken to her therapists in over a year, was a late talker as well. She is a toe walker and has sensory seeking and defensivness at times . She has also gotten into the habit of repeating questions or asking things over and over again.

We are now dealing with screeching and it makes me so frustrated. ;(.

On a super good note, she is hilarious. She does and says the funniest things. She likes to talk in a silly voice and it cracks everyone up. She is also super cute. She is very smart and knows over 300 ASL signs!

So share the good and bad about your Dd with ASD!

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Have you read the book Aspergirls? Granted it is geared towards older children and adults, but it might be a good read! I disagree with a few minor points in it, but overall I found it to be pretty great.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine
Have you read the book Aspergirls? Granted it is geared towards older children and adults, but it might be a good read! I disagree with a few minor points in it, but overall I found it to be pretty great.
I have. . I liked it as well. Gave me some insight into my older DD.

No one else? ;(.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
kellfran
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who has a girl with ASD?

My daughter turned 7 and has autism. She's in regular ed with an aide. Academically she does well, but emotionally, she can have anxiety--I noticed that more as she's gotten older. She loves her friends, has NO problem in social situations--in fact she is TOO social. I always have to remind her about people's personal boundaries--especially if they have fancy jewlery or something like that. SHE loves bugs, rescues flies from spiderwebs, and being outdoors. She can be so creative that way and that's something my "typical" daughter doesnt do. Go figure!
kellfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a girl on the spectrum (official diagnosis of childhood disintegrative disorder). She is 5 years old and goes to a special integrative therapy center for 12 hours a week, plus 2 hrs each of st and ot at home. She is a handful and a half! She struggles mightily with speech but knows hundreds of signs. We recently discovered that she knows about 50 sight words! The school system kept telling us she is mentally retarded, which I tried to accept at first, but she is actually doing extremely well in some areas now. She is a complete girly girl with a love of dresses and princesses and all things glittery and pink. On the other hand she can be an absolute brute! She keeps things interesting, lol.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote