Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
ndmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about your au pair experience!

Our family is two full time working parents (me and dh) and two dd's: one four yo and one four mo. My two dd's go to different daycare's right now because odd was at a school that doesn't start accepting kids till 2 yo. She and we love it and didn't want to pull her out. My dh's job is about to get a lot more hectic which will probably last a year or two (they are opening a new location of the restaurant he currently runs). So we are considering getting an au pair. It's definitely cheaper than having two in full time daycare and is a bit more flexible than traditional "close at 6 pm" daycares. We'd still keep odd in part time at her current school too until she goes to kindergarten next year. Although our home is not luxurious by any means, we do have an extra room, so space is not really an issue. I'm just wondering what people's experiences were, if you would do it again, or why you did/did not like it Thank in advance for any info/advice!!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
5280Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your au pair experience!

We researched it a ton and ended up not doing it at this time - for us the 45 hour a week limit was a deal breaker because about 25% of the time it would have been a squeeze to work within that time frame. Plus there are other expenses to consider - adding them to your car insurance plus the expense of having another adult in your house (I still think you are right in that it is less than 2 in day care).

We have 2 or 3 families in our social circle that have done it - they each think it is a great learning experience for the kids, and they each have a "horror" story to share about something that went totally sideways. Everyone tells us that you have to consider this more like taking on an exchange student then hiring a child care provider and if you go in to it with that mindset you will be far more succesful in managing expectations.

We will reconsider when the boys start school (kindy is only 3 days a week here) because the time that they are with the kids will be less.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have an au pair now and i love it. cheaper than nannies, much more flexible and for two kids, as cheap as inflexible day care
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

also, sending you a message
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote