Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When did that happen?

Many of you may know that my oldest son has had some growth issues. Last year he was diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency (pituitary dwarfism) and started on hormone injections. The little guy is a trooper and takes his shots every night without complaint. He has been almost the same height for over a year, is well behind on bone age and has been wearing the same Converse All Stars sneakers for 2 years (size 1). Well he finally started growing. Slimmed down a bit (didn't actually loose weight but stayed the same weight while getting taller which is great) and hit 4ft 5inches which puts him at the 11% for height. This doesn't sound like much but it is super news for him. The doctor says he will slow down (if he didn't he would be 6.5 feet tall when he stopped ) but everything looks great. Well I realized his flip flops were starting to look to small and he started complaining that his skates were too tight. I ordered him new skates, size 3 to make sure he would have room to grow. He said they were barely big enough but they would do. Made me think maybe he would need some new sneakers to play at the park this summer and definitely before fall (I like to plan ahead). I always buy him shoes on clearance in larger sizes and put them away under his bed. It has never been a problem because he grows slowly and has easy to fit, narrow feet. I pulled out a pair of 1.5 sketchers and they wouldn't go on him. They were way to short. I couldn't believe it since he was been wearing the same pair of size 1 converse for 2 years. So I pulled out a pair of 2.5 I had packed away and those wouldn't go on either. I didn't have anything bigger to put on him so I decided I would just order him a pair of soft stars. I pulled out paper and measured his foot, 9inches long just 1inch shorter than mine! How did that happen? Well he wasn't going to fit in any of the youth size soft stars which made them incredibly expensive. He wanted "toe shoes" like dh has (Fila Skeletoes) but I couldn't figure out the sizing. Today his new shoes arrived....

My 10 year old has vibram 5finger shoes. I found a great deal on them online (way cheaper than soft stars anyway). I couldn't find kids sizes for him and the men's were too big so these are women's. He loves them. But when did his feet get so big? How did that happen? I guess boys really do grow in their feet first. Now of course both dh and Tharen want them. I will probably get dh a pair for father's day but I told Tharen he has to outgrow his sneakers first.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That is awesome, mama!!!!!! See what happens when you blink?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When did that happen?

That's awesome news!!
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, that's great mama. Congratulations on this good news. Cool shoes!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Actually, for boys and girls, feet are the first thing to stop growing. My oldest has had a couple feet spurts like that when I'm left wondering what happened. lol
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Cool! ODS just had an x-ray done to check bone age, he just turned 10 and the pedi said that it came back in the 9-10 range so that he is okay for now, but wants to check him again next year. I might pm you in the future for advice if that's okay!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!!! I was excited to see him finally growing but it is funny that most of the growth seems to be in his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie.yarnie.mommie. View Post
Cool! ODS just had an x-ray done to check bone age, he just turned 10 and the pedi said that it came back in the 9-10 range so that he is okay for now, but wants to check him again next year. I might pm you in the future for advice if that's okay!
Feel free to pm me if you want to talk. We followed Kearnan's growth patterns (really lack of growth) for several years before deciding to start testing and ultimately finding that he needed treatment. His bone age is significantly behind but even that doesn't necessarily reveal any issues as a child with a younger bone age may just be a "late bloomer" and younger bones give a child longer to grow. I am interested to see what Kearnan's bones will show at his next scan.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Awesome!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Great news! Those shoes rock, too.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD1 has not been growing either. She is 10yo and just recently made it to 52". Same as your son where her shoes and skates just never are outgrown. We saw the pedi-endo a few months ago after her bone age was normal. She has to go back in Sept. if there has been no growth because following this pattern they expect her to be under 5ft for sure. She would LOVE those shoes!! They are beyond cool. SHe really wants a pair of Doc Martins and is very anxious for her feet to grow.