Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: *Update* Talk to me about audiology and speech therapy evaluations...

This SLP is very supportive of using sign language to help our son communicate. He knows "eat" and "please" and after the evaluation she encouraged us to pick a few more to work on next. We picked "more, help, and all done." He's catching on to "more" pretty well for only practicing for the last few days. I do love that sign gives us an ability for him to communicate with us. It breaks my heart that he's this little person with preferences, feelings, and opinions and I don't really know them Our goal is that our son will talk. However, I'm in the camp that believes that God doesn't make mistakes, so if he doesn't learn to speak fully, our family will adapt to that.

I came home from my evening class last night right before the boys went to bed, and my little man came running when he heard me, saying "hhh! hhh! hhh!" (His version of hi that he's been working so hard on.) It was the sweetest sound.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCCart
I am hearing, but I have been a pretty big part of the Deaf-World since 1998, when I first started learning ASL.

Now I have a child who is 7 months old. She was born grey and with an apgar of 0 and then NO SCORE because the doctor was too busy working on her to record. She was resuscitated and then on a vent for 2.5 days, and in the NICU a total of 14 days. She has now gained diagnosis of epilepsy, cortical visually impaired, hypertonia (future CP diagnosis?), and her CT scan obviously revealed brain damage. We are in the middle of getting her hearing really tested. She may have some loss, but she is not profoundly deaf.

What I don't understand is why no one in the therapy world has ever said anything to me about my offering her sign language/Deaf culture as an option. Now I completely understand why moms let their kids get funneled into the whole system of testing for hearing, and thrusted into speech therapy. It saddens me to know that there are babies/children out there who are born to use a visual language (ASL) and can excel in life, but are made to feel like they should only use spoken English in order to amount to anything.

I am so happy to know what I know about the Deaf-World so that I can offer my daughter the gift of ASL, Deaf culture, and visual song.

This isn't a direct hit to anyone at all. I just was wanting to share my feelings about the things I've been through the last couple of weeks. I honestly think most mothers would bend over backwards to do what they could to help their child in need. I just feel sad that some people have never heard of the Deaf-World as being a wonderful option for life.

Jessica
I have a hearing impaired daughter and work with children who are developmentally delayed. My DD does sign, probably knows around 200-300 signs that we use, but is also making amazing progress with hearing and speaking.

I don't find people being 'funneled into speech therapy' so much as I find people being offered ASL as the only viable option, when thats just not true. At least when it comes to deaf/hearing impaired families.

As for hearing children ASL is an amazing tool as an augmentative and alternative form of communication, and I fully support it's use. But if they comprehend spoken language, they can often learn to speak with some concentrated therapy at a young age. I don't really see an issue with this, and certainly don't feel in the least bit 'sorry' for those families.

OP, good luck with speech therapy! I really hope things go well for you and your LO!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: *Update* Talk to me about audiology and speech therapy evaluations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
This SLP is very supportive of using sign language to help our son communicate. He knows "eat" and "please" and after the evaluation she encouraged us to pick a few more to work on next. We picked "more, help, and all done." He's catching on to "more" pretty well for only practicing for the last few days. I do love that sign gives us an ability for him to communicate with us. It breaks my heart that he's this little person with preferences, feelings, and opinions and I don't really know them Our goal is that our son will talk. However, I'm in the camp that believes that God doesn't make mistakes, so if he doesn't learn to speak fully, our family will adapt to that.

I came home from my evening class last night right before the boys went to bed, and my little man came running when he heard me, saying "hhh! hhh! hhh!" (His version of hi that he's been working so hard on.) It was the sweetest sound.
That is a wonderful sound! He'll get there. Just give him time. What ever it is, it just makes him all the more special.