Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Shaunam
Registered Users

Making progress in trying new foods!

My DS doesn't have a diagnosis yet...looking at possible high-functioning ASD and/or a sensory disorder. He does have general anxiety and a previous feeding disorder, which is technically "resolved", but never really diagnosed in the first place. He has been seen in the children's feeding disorder clinic, but he made so much progress so fast they didn't label it anything. He spent his first 2 1/2 years puking everything, then that led to a bad relationship with food. So you can imagine why he hates trying new foods.

So in the last 3 weeks he's made a ton of progress! I've been focusing a lot on just "trying" each food. I don't force him to eat all of anything, but just try it. He's old enough now to reason with about the importance of variety and why it's necessary for our health. He's also starting to understand that we eat things even if we don't LOVE them...we eat them because we *should*. I told him everyone is allowed a handful of things they absolutely despise and stuff that makes them gag, but not every food we dislike falls into that category. We've talked about love, like, don't care either way, dislike, hate, and "makes me gag". He's learning to eat things all the way into the "don't care either way" category, and we're working on the "dislike" category too. I've explained that no one should have to eat in the "hate" or "makes me gag" categories, but you can't put a food there until you've tried it a dozen times and prepared in different ways.

So he's eaten mashed cauliflower, which led to eating steamed cauliflower. He ate fish! Then he had cucumbers. And tuna noodle casserole! Never thought he'd eat something with so many ingredients mixed together! He normally doesn't even like pasta (I know, weird right?).

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Making progress in trying new foods!

Wow, good job! We're no where near that kind of variety. Especially casseroles! He cannot eat anything mixed. Or with color. :sigh:

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote