Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
mamauv4
Registered Users

Knitting and crocheting....

I crochet.. But I very interested in knitting. Is it harder? But my most important question is: how on earth do you guys find the time? I am a mommy of 4 ages 7-4 months and I homeschool. I hardly have the time to shower!!!

Advertisement

mamauv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Knitting and crocheting....

I learned to knit first, and while I picked up crochet faster than I did knitting, I still feel like knitting makes more sense to me...if that makes any sense!

I've heard it can be harder for some, but really I think it's more that it's just *different*

As for finding the time, it's my relaxation, it's what I do when the kids go to bed, or while in the car, or at a family party, or while the kids are in the bathtub. when they were little what I did while they were nursing.

I just sort of fit it in around everything else that I am doing, but I usually don't get big chunks of time to knit all at once unless everyone goes to bed at a reasonable time!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
I learned to crochet when I was 9 years old. I taught myself to knit about 4 years ago using knittinghelp.com I am also a mom of 4 (1 more coming in July) and I also homeschool. I knit and crochet ANY time I sit down. If I am sitting, I have yarn in my fingers. I have a small bag with handles that I keep my current project in so that it is easily portable. I also knit and crochet super fast. The last time my dh timed me, I knit 70 stitches per minute. :0)

Last edited by HookedByCarolyn; 06-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
HookedByCarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Angel89411
Banned

I crochet. I tried to knit years ago and I found it frustrating and it made my hands hurt. I have picked it up again recently and continental method is MUCH easier for me. It is harder in the sense of dropping a loop off your hook is no big deal but dropping a loop off your needle is "Oh, ****".
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411
I crochet. I tried to knit years ago and I found it frustrating and it made my hands hurt. I have picked it up again recently and continental method is MUCH easier for me. It is harder in the sense of dropping a loop off your hook is no big deal but dropping a loop off your needle is "Oh, ****".
Yeah that's true!!! And if your kid runs off with your hook, it won't mess up your project, but if they grab your needles... rows and rows could be gone! And its a PITA to put every one of those loops back on and not twisted!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with the previous two posts about the idiosyncratic difficulties of knitting vs crocheting. I (re)taught myself to crochet about 18 mos ago & picked up knitting via knittinghelp.com & a class at my LYS in January. I found it to be reasonably easy once I watched some continental videos.

As for time...I don't know what to tell you. I only have one kiddo but I WOH FT. DD is generally to bed by 8, so at least a couple of nights a week, I knit (or crochet) from 8-9 (or 10) while DP & I watch a show & chat before we go to bed & start all over the next day. But I'm also pretty likely to let my housework go, rather than take away that decompression time in the evening. I get the bulk of my stuff done when we do "crafty Saturday" once a month when a friend's DH is away at drill, we get a sitter to herd the kids (usually 3-6 of them, 6 & under), & we all do our various crafts (knitting, crocheting, quilting, scrapbooking) from about 11am-5pm.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do think continental is generally easier for crocheters to learn. The first books I had for knitting were mostly english style and horrible pictures. (10 years ago if knittinghelp.com was around, I didn't know about it). I learned crochet when I was 7 and taught myself knitting in 2002. I prefer knitting for garments, and crochet for toys, some hats, and afghans (mostly just cause double crochet is so fast, and I'm not patient enough for large afghans in much that's slower than that!)

I knit while I BF, I knit in the car, I knit here and there. I grab very few projects that I can't easily put down and pick back up. I flag tons of lace shawl patterns in Rav for myself, but tend to pick patterns that I can "read" easily to know where I left off when I'm interrupted - note I say "when" and not "if" interrupted
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
mamauv4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn
I learned to crochet when I was 9 years old. I taught myself to knit about 4 years ago using knittinghelp.com I am also a mom of 4 (1 more coming in July) and I also homeschool. I knit and crochet ANY time I sit down. If I am sitting, I have yarn in my fingers. I have a small bag with handles that I keep my current project in so that it is easily portable. I also knit and crochet super fast. The last time my dh timed me, I knit 70 stitches per minute. :0)
Wow! 70 stitches a minute?! That's awesome. I'm not near that fast! Lol and it sounds like we have a lot in common!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
mamauv4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411
Lol!!!! That could be an issue. I have to stop and start a lot and my son likes to take my hook!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
cayem
Registered Users

I really wanted to learn to knit a few months ago. I took a class on how to crochet diaper soakers and talked to the teacher afterwards. She said unless you really really want to learn to knit, that it is easier to continue honing the one craft you are already proficienct with. She was totally right. I would probably quit within a few days and go back to crocheting. I am not great, but have been doing it several years and can whip up a blanket or a soaker quick enough and can read patterns. I don't think I have the patience to go back to square one. As far as the time, I crochet in bed before I go to sleep at night. I set a goal, like four rows on a baby blanket and try to complete it before my eyes close.
cayem is offline   Reply With Quote