Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maternity swimsuit

I was on bed rest by the time summer hit with my first but I'm hoping to be more active this pregnancy and swim a lot since my son loves to and my dr said it would be fine with my history. My concern is where to find a decent suit!
I'm a little on the fluffy side but my boobs are huge to start with. I buy bras at the specialty store and am a 34G not pregnant. Needless to say I need some support in a swimsuit. Anyone know of a decent brand that has supportive bra area and not just soft cups that I'll sag out of?

Advertisement

Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: Maternity swimsuit

I just bought this swim suit and absolutely love it!!!! I was originally on a search for a swim suit with underwire because I'm around a 38F (a little bigger since pregnant, but I keep stuffing them in this size.) They have a ton of different colors, I went to my brother's wedding at an indoor water park, and I felt cute 100% covered (virtually no cleveage!! which I found awesome, as did my husband (haha he's 6' 3" and looks down and thinks my cleveage is always worse than it really is! I wasn't picking weggies, adjusting my top to be covered or pulling it up, it all stayed exactly where I wanted it. I've never loved a swimsuit before honestly, and I LOVE it! my only complaint is the price, but honestly I love it so much even at the price I'm contemplating buying another color, and I never buy expensive clothing... also someone mentioned fig leaf (I think. it's fig something for sure though, has swimsuits great for large breasts, they had a large selection when I looked, but still "pricey" but they do have underwire.

anywho, here is the one I purchased. http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-one-piece-in-red?utm_source=facebook

ETA: they have plus size too, which is actually what I got because it said it runs small, though I have plenty of room for a growing belly because of the ruching.

Last edited by champatlife; 05-29-2012 at 07:14 PM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

I have been happy with the one I for at mothergood maternity. I went in and tried a bunch on, and the one I got has good support and is cute enough...I got a skirt to go with it.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried a few maternity swimsuits, but far and away preferred my non-maternity tankini from land's end. I got one of the side-tie tunic tops, which had plenty of stretch and length to cover the growing belly (I wore it all the way to the end with dd) and has underwire bra to give you support. The skirted bottoms sit below belly, and I never had to worry about tugging the top down to make sure no skin was showing between the two. Plus, it's a great suit to wear while nursing because the tunic straps are detachable to make it a tube top, so you can remove one strap for pull-down nursing access.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies!! I'll have to check it all out.
Champatlife - can you help me with sizing then? I'm usually a 12 pant non pregnant I'm thinking I'd get a 16 since its not truly maternity? Did you find it tight?
Mom2corag-ill also check out the lands end one. I have one from a few years ago I bought I thought it was supportive but also thought it ran small-was quite tight which is different than usual lands end stuff. Maybe I can go to Sears and try some on! It certainly was plenty supportive for my girls
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
Thanks ladies!! I'll have to check it all out.
Champatlife - can you help me with sizing then? I'm usually a 12 pant non pregnant I'm thinking I'd get a 16 since its not truly maternity? Did you find it tight?
Mom2corag-ill also check out the lands end one. I have one from a few years ago I bought I thought it was supportive but also thought it ran small-was quite tight which is different than usual lands end stuff. Maybe I can go to Sears and try some on! It certainly was plenty supportive for my girls
I'm aprox the same 12 in most pants, and I went with the size 16 in the plus size (because the bust area measurements said they were bigger) it wasn't tight at all, but it was by no means falling off either, and I can tell I should have no problem with an expanding stomach as my pregnancy progresses. Also, I don't know how they did it, but a lot of halter styles bug me because I have to tie them a bit tighter because of my breast being on the heavier side, I didn't have that issue at all either.

Last edited by champatlife; 05-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went with a suit from Motherhood and I wish I hadn't. I wish I had gone with something like this - http://www.biggerbras.com/anita-full...uit-9666.shtml or http://www.lindasonline.com/anita-pa...666-coral.html
Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
I went with a suit from Motherhood and I wish I hadn't. I wish I had gone with something like this - http://www.biggerbras.com/anita-full...uit-9666.shtml or http://www.lindasonline.com/anita-pa...666-coral.html
I went in the store and looked at the maternity swimsuits at motherhood, there is no way the ones (at our store anyways) would have been enough support for my breast. Many of the areas looked way too small of an area for them or simply just no support at all. (after two babies my boobies don't behave all the time)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

Champatlife- I almost bought one but all I could find was the blue velvet in my size . I'll check again in a few days.
Silly-thanks for the links, those look pretty supportive and comfy, I'll have to check them out!
Almost went to motherhood to look at what they have but it is out of my way and you guys have dissuaded me!!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
spring13
Registered Users
seller

I bought a bikini bottom off the clearance rack at a Motherhood outlet today, and i've been eyeing bra-size bikini tops (plus rashguards). I'm a 38DD and i'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/21874.htm. That website has a bunch of bra-size tops. I found a few other sites by googling "bra size bikini tops".

In terms of rashguards, I spoke with customer service at a rashguard website, and she suggested just buying a size or two larger than i'd normally wear. I'll probably go for it, but i'd sort of like to try some on somewhere first so i can have a better idea of what to expect.
spring13 is offline   Reply With Quote