Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
ellemac28
Registered Users

Arrow Premie-Working on SUPPLY

My baby came 5 weeks early and gets really tired at the breast still. He has a small tongue tie left, can get me to let down, but always needs me to give him pumped milk after he's been at the breast (even if its been an hour) so that he is full. I am trying to get some supply in the fridge/freezer, but he drink everything I pump.

I take More Milk Speicial Blend (goats rue, fenugreek, etc), eat oatmeal, drink plenty of water, pump around the clock and still my supply SUCKS. Oh, I also pump 15-20 minutes after there is no more milk coming out of my pump. Pumping 2-3x a night (every time he eats). Taking placenta capsules. What else am I missing to help my supply? This is my 3rd nurser, and I have never had issues . I give props to all you mama's that have been here!!

Advertisement

ellemac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Premie-Working on SUPPLY

My middle guy was 4 weeks early and I attributed everything to him just being fatigued at the breast because he was "younger" - he actually had a tongue tie, but, I didn't find out until he was 2. My youngest DD was born at 39 weeks and she had similar dificulties (a little worse), we did one tongue tie revision but we kept having to suppliment, we finally did a second revision when she was 5 months old (I always thought there was "a little tongue tie" left, it turned out there was A LOT of tongue tie left - it was just posterior/very hard to see) and my supply really increased afterwards. I still have to suppliment a couple times per day, but, it's better than every feeding and I suspect if I had done the second revision sooner I would have been able to save my supply (I think she is transfering fine now).

I did take domperidone (stopped after the second revision due to the icnrease in supply and her being able to transfer milk so much better). It helped her get more while nursing and me get more while pumping.

*hugs* It's so hard to nurse, pump, suppliment.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
bigmommylove
Registered Users

Re: Premie-Working on SUPPLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemac28 View Post
My baby came 5 weeks early and gets really tired at the breast still. He has a small tongue tie left, can get me to let down, but always needs me to give him pumped milk after he's been at the breast (even if its been an hour) so that he is full. I am trying to get some supply in the fridge/freezer, but he drink everything I pump.

I take More Milk Speicial Blend (goats rue, fenugreek, etc), eat oatmeal, drink plenty of water, pump around the clock and still my supply SUCKS. Oh, I also pump 15-20 minutes after there is no more milk coming out of my pump. Pumping 2-3x a night (every time he eats). Taking placenta capsules. What else am I missing to help my supply? This is my 3rd nurser, and I have never had issues . I give props to all you mama's that have been here!!
Continue with everything you are doing. Make sure to eat and get plenty of fluids. Every mom is different on how herbs will help and sometimes it takes longer then others. If after a week or so nothing is helping, you might want to switch products. I'm using Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and it helps a lot.
bigmommylove is offline   Reply With Quote