Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Goat, anyone? and a steak ?

So the farmer's market has started back up (yay) and they have new vendors (yay) and one of them has goat meat. Seems like people say it's kind of like lamb? We like lamb, I think we'll like goat... but I have no clue what to do with it! Inspire me!
They have "ground, chops, and roasts" <-- from their website, I didn't check too closely last week.

Steak - what are some creative things I can do with it? Trying to cut down on the meat so "steak on the grill" is kind of a special treat. We do steak salads, steak fajitas/tacos, but what else can I do with a grilled piece of steak?

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
triplomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Goat, anyone? and a steak ?

Hi! I was working on a nice, long reply, but accidentally hit the back button my phone, and poof! Here's hoping things work out better on my laptop.

Goat is a lot like lamb, but an order of magnitude more gamey. As with lamb, you can cut down a lot of the gaminess by trimming away the visible fat (fat = funk). Now, depending on how those goats were raised/fed, this may result in some very lean, muscular, tough cuts (or not, again, it depends on their diet and activity level). So, the foolproof approach would be to get a cut that's suitable for braising or slow roasting anyway, e.g., shoulder roast or similar. Chops are another option, and you probably don't have to trim them if you're going to grill them. The funky fat will just drip into the grill, making your grill funky, but not your dinner.

So, if I were shopping at your farmers market, I'd buy either chops for grilling, or a shoulder roast for braising/stewing/slow-roasting. You can also try a rib or loin cut, if the vendor swears on a stack of holy books that it is tender, that can be cubed for kabobs. As for seasoning/flavoring, stick to the flavor profiles of those cultures that are "famous" for lamb/goat dishes: Middle Eastern, Indian, Greek, South American.

If you're making chops or kabobs, then I can't think of any better flavoring than the Turkish/Greek approach: marinate for about half an hour in salt, pepper, a little vinegar or lemon juice, a lot of garlic, and a healthy dose of oregano and/or thyme. Some add cumin, so if you like cumin, then go for it. The zestiness of the acid and herbs cut the earthiness of the meat.

For stews/braises, just search for curry (Indian) or tagine (Moroccan) recipes. Both are excellent. And if you want to slow-roast or truly barbecue the roast (i.e., low and slow cooking), then look up Latin American recipes.

Enjoy!

Oh, as for steak, perhaps you can season it Thai-style and make lettuce wraps?
triplomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awesome info mama, thanks! I am thinking that I need to get some goat chops, marinate and grill them, and let DH think it's lamb. That's how I got him to eat lamb (thinking it was teeny tiny beef, lol) and now he loves it.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
triplomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

You're welcome! Let me know your verdict.
triplomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
kellyzaney
Registered Users

I grew up raising goats. We ate goat, used goat-milk for everything around the house too. My mom grew up on the Texas-Mexico border and always called goat meat "cabrito". We would slow cook a roast cut in the crockpot with Mexican spices, then shred the meat up and eat tacos, enchiladas, sandwiches, ect. It does depend on how the goat was raised before it was butchered. I've had some horrible horrible goat meat. I would say get a roast, trim it well, flavor it with stronger spices to cover or compliment some of the gamey taste it can have and use it like you would beef or chicken. We substituted goat in a lot of recipes. Good luck! I'd love to know how it turns out for you!
kellyzaney is offline   Reply With Quote