Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Users
Postpartum care concerns

I wanted to see what other lady's experiences were in terms of healing from a VBAC versus a repeat c-section. Honestly, I kind of expected the VBAC recovery to be a piece of cake, all roses and all that, and I was surprised at some of the things I didn't expect:

*I had heavier bleeding this time, and it lasted longer (with the c-section it lasted maybe two weeks and was like a super light period, after the VBAC it was several weeks)

*I swear the lochia had a stronger smell

*My pregnancy hemorrhoids were aggravated by the VBAC and I needed a steroid foam to end the cycle.

*Intimacy is better this time around. For the year that I nursed my daughter after my c/s, I was incredibly dry and tight with no libido. I wouldn't say I'm back to normal after the VBAC, but things are definitely better (EBF this time again too).

*It took about 5 weeks for my 2nd degree tear to feel completely healed, the light bleeding to stop, and for me to feel back to "normal," though I was much, much more mobile in the days following birth compared to my c-section. I just wasn't expecting the bleeding to last longer.

There aren't too many people who have had both types of birth experiences, so I thought maybe we could help women doing a TOLAC know a little bit more what to expect, both the good, the bad, and the "Oh, really?" stuff. So what differences in your postpartum healing did you notice?
Shannon, Mommy to Claire (10/09) and Alice (vbac 3/12)
shan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote