Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
MomofaCutieButootie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just don't like cooking anymore...what to do.

So I have two boys ages 2 years and 5 months. On top that, I have 3 dogs. When I actually have a moment to breathe, I really don't want to cook. I need some no hassle meals pronto. Does anyone else feel this way? COoking just is very fun what you are worn out. But I feel so guilty not cooking, cause when my husband comes home from work he's ready to eat a big meal. And I definitely dont think its healthy for my 2 year old to be eating Tyson chicken nuggets every other day. aaahh. Probably shouldn't have confessed that. Please dont call child services.

Advertisement

MomofaCutieButootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
MommyToTwoPrinces
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just don't like cooking anymore...what to do.

Talk to your husband and see if he's willing to help you cook, or swap nights cooking! Monday-You Tuesday-Him, ETC
MommyToTwoPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I often feel this way. Maybe try a crock pot if DH doesn't help? I often look up new, quick recipes online and that helps to mix things up for me.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Could you set aside some time on a weekend where DH takes the kids out and you can prepare a bunch of freezer type meals? Soups, casseroles, etc could freeze well, and then you just thaw and heat.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Seriously, use a crockpot! It had been a life saver for me!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I go through periods like this, and just try to suck it up for one day and mass cook for the next four or so. This will be long, but I did this last week and did:

Browned two pounds ground meat (I did mix of beef and turkey)
Divide and set aside for two meals

Mix one browned meat with one and a half to two cooked cups of rice, a cup and a half of tomato sauce, and some crushed garlic. Stuff in bell peppers the night for dinner.

Mix other half of browned meat mixture with cooked pasta, diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, and pour into casserole dish. Top with shredded cheddar before baking night of that dinner

Roast two whole chicken - eat one that night I cooked
Pull meat off rest of chicken and other chicken before cleaning up kitchen

With chicken pieces:
One night Napa chicken salad sandwiches and sometimes soup on the side
(Napa chicken is shredded cooked chicken, two ribs of celery chopped, two apricots chopped, an apple chopped, and a bit of mayo and lemon juice stirred together on toasted bread, yum!)

One night rest of cooked chicken mixed with two cups cooked rice, chopped raw broccoli or one bag frozen broccoli, and the lazy way cream of mushroom soup from the can or do it the homemade way for cream of whatever soup. Pour into casserole and bake with shredded mozzarella on top, if you like cheese.

So basically (haha, I apologize for scattered mind and writing today)
One day you roast two chickens in your oven and once and then brown two pounds of beef while cooking a cup and half of uncooked rice on stove, to ultimately get 4ish cups of cooked rice. I do the chickens in the oven at 425 for an hour and fifteen minutes with just salt sprinkled on - no oil or fat. They turn out perfectly. I throw in cubed potatoes and some carrots in the pan with the chickens. During the time they are cooking I brown the meat and then assemble and chop stuff for the rest of the meals. Right around when I am finishing my assembly the chickens are done and then we eat dinner (roast chicken, carrots and potatoes) while chicken #2 is cooling. My husband does nighttime routine that day for the baby while I pull apart the rest of the chicken and clean up. Then I have four extra nights of meals from cooking the one mealtime.

I do this on crazy weeks or when someone here is sick. My husband is a big dude and likes to eat and I know that he really appreciates when we have a real dinner and don't have to scramble to order takeout or do freezer stuff. It's actually really easy and doesn't take much effort.

ETA: I try to flip between beef and chicken so it's not too repetitive when I mass cook, so it would look like:
Mon - roast chicken
Tues - stuffed peppers
Wed - chx salad sandwiches
Thurs - southwest casserole (this is soooo yummy with cornbread)
Fri - chx and broccoli casserole

or whatever combo you want

Last edited by Hungry Caterpillar; 06-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I feel this way too sometimes. But a couple days of eating crap usually fixes it. I like good food.

I second/triple the crock pot suggestion. When I'm feeling over it, I try to throw things in there. Or I prepare things for hubby to grill.

I find that I actually enjoy cooking best when I get that hour or whatever to just be in the kitchen alone. But since DH seems to get home later and later these days, it seems like dinner gets cooked while trying to entertain DD and that's less fun.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'm totally in a cooking rut. I loathe it actually right now. I utilize my crock as much as possible and we eat a lot of leftovers.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Make use of all of your appliances. Tonight my dinner is roast beef in the crockpot, cheddar bread in the bread machine and mixed veggies in the microwave.

Check out taste of home five ingredient dishes. Stuff with very few ingedients is always fast and easy. Also look for their simple and delicious recipes used to be called quick cooking. Having new recipes that are simple will help both just get through the day but also build the excitment do cooking again

Also try to make sure to plan your meals once a week. Having a plan always makes getting ready for dinner much easier.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote